More Eel Ideas

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Forum' started by H2OHOH, Mar 16, 2020.

1. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

My boy wants an eel, and I have been toying with it for awhile. Don’t plan on getting something too big. I have heard some say eels like rock work an small places for protection and security. If I was to get a medium sized eel(snowflake, dragon, or yellow) is it ok to put in a 40 gallon tank. Or should you really have a larger tank?

2. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

My first thoughts are that a small Snowflake or Golden Dwarf would be your only safe bets for a tank as small as 40gal; to start. Eels grow quickly and can be be quite a contributor to the bioload, so water quality maintenance is essential with smaller systems; however, eels are very tolerant of poor water conditions. They do prefer having many hiding spots, so lots of rock that is firmly in place is best for them.

The Dragon Moray is very similar to the Jeweled Moray in that they will be too much for a 40gal; a 75gal or larger would be needed to start. If the tank isn't big enough, they will try to find their way out and they are deceptively strong as they're all muscle. And from experience, slender bodied fishes make for easy appetizers for these eels. The Snowflake and Golden Dwarf eels are much less likely to eat a fish; they prefer mollusks for their meals.

3. OP
    H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

how about a Banana? On live aquaria they say 50 for Jeweled?

4. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

The Banana and Jeweled morays are very, very similar.
    The Jeweled Moray was my very first saltwater fish and it grew to every inch of the two foot "maximum" length. They're a robust eel that I feel need at least a 75gal when small. At one time, I purchased two small juveniles and placed them into a 50gal (36"x18"x18") tank and they were too boisterous for that tank and I brought them back to the store. If you can find a single juvenile Banana or Jeweled moray, you'll be fine in a 50gal for a short time but maybe that's about how long the kid will enjoy them anyways. They are a great fish that will grab anyone's attention.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nezw0001

Nezw0001 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

dwarf golden morays are a nice small eel. I have two and they have stayed small.