Neptune Systems Trident

Discussion in 'Equipment: Setup and Discussion' started by Ben Nicholls, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2018

Going to be fun playing with this. I was chosen for the Trident NSI testing. Can't say too much about details yet due to the program rules, but I'll share more as they allow.

For those not familiar, the Trident is the upcoming product from Neptune Systems which will automatically measure CAL, ALK, and Mg.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. Justin715

Justin715 TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Supporter

very cool, congrats. Following along.

3. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Lucky you!!!
    Looks like we have at least a couple of these in the club now. House meetings??? :D

What have they been doing the last two years?!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

5. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

6. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

7. Fross

Fross Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Yeah, I think forces a mandatory meeting at your house so we can stand around that thing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Adam G

Adam G Born to Reef!
    Lifetime Member

Sweet, been following this and knew they were sending them out to testers. Can’t wait to get one of these.

9. marty9876

marty9876 Something funny
    Lifetime Member

Lol, I need a new hobby...

10. OP
    Ben Nicholls

Still not able to give too many details about the operation of the Trident.

I've been using the results to dial in my dosing. The multiple readings a day really make it easy to adjust dosing to where you want your values. It is also interesting how much a few little frags can pull out of the water. Even adding one frag will quickly affect the alk and cal numbers. Of course that also lets you know the corals are growing.

Still on my list is to set up my second DOS to do continual water changes. That should also help with stability.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. HouseofStark

HouseofStark Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Following! why have they drug this out for soo long?!!? Any ETA on availability?

12. OP
    Ben Nicholls

Not allowed to repeat any specific timing info, but past NSI programs have run 1-2 months. It all depends on what they find during the testing.

I think the main reason this is taking so long (from when it was first announced) is that it is a complicate product and they want it to work correctly when released. If you remember the COR pump, that took 2 years from when they first announced they were making it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

I had the pleasure of seeing a Trident in person when I bought @eschulist extra DOS - it is crazy how compact they were able to make the design.

Though in typical Neptune fashion, the form factor is questionable. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. eschulist

eschulist That Office Nano Guy
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2019

Yes if others didn't know I am also on the NSI testing the Trident

[​IMG]

The Trident packs in everything needed for running all 3 tests, including the reagents, pump, solenoids, and reaction chamber. Other designs place the reagents in other vessels or have multiple pumps that require additional tubing and calibrating. The main gripe is the shape itself. The fact that it isn't shaped more like the DOS is strange. During the shape concept stage I don't know why they didn't do a hybrid flat bottom for placing on shelves, but also be more box shaped with a flat back so it could be mounted on a wall. My best theory is that the reaction chamber, which is at the top of the swoop, needs to be above the reagents and pump to use gravity and prevent siphons filling that chamber. This was the design that keep the size the smallest. Having a small reaction chamber above everything in a box shape would have meant a lot of additional bulk. And having a tall vertical shape can lead to tipping issues if it was placed on a flat surface rather than mounted. So overall the design is efficient but somewhat hard to integrate into a sump space.

• Informative Informative x 3
  15. eschulist

I'll try and put of all of the information that I am able to share at the moment. A bunch of this is already on the web or on various videos but for those that haven't kept up with the news here are some of its features.

Trident tests all 3 major reef elements - Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium automatically on a repeating schedule. Right now its 2 Alk only tests a day, and 2 combo tests a day. Giving you 4 Alk, 2 Ca, and 2 Mg. This is the standard configuration that uses up one set of reagents in 2 months. You are free to increase the interval at the cost of using up more reagent. All tests are done using Titration.

[​IMG]

This is how a bunch of the Salifert and Red Sea tests work. You fill a vial with tank water, add a reagent and then keep adding it until it changes color. The process is done automatically using a peristaltic pump and is then determined using an optical led light / eye. There are no pH probes so you don't have to worry about it drifting or calibrating it. It uses a single pump design with multiple solenoids to switch between drawing in tank water, drawing in reagent, emptying the test vial, and repeating for each element. By using only one pump you don't have to worry about having multiple pumps to calibrate or uneven wear between them. By using a single pump, if it starts to drift out of ml/min calibration it will draw in sample water, and reagent at equal proportions and still give you accurate readings.

The tile in Fusion shows all 3 parameters based on the last tests taken. You can click the tile to open up a weekly graph of your parameters.

[​IMG]

You can click the tile again to show additional info.
    It shows your waste output and number of tests remaining based on your reagents. When the container is full it will give you an error and stop testing so it doesn't overfill. You can then empty the waste container and reset this to resume testing.

[​IMG]

I've been running the Trident for a little over a month and in the beginning I could see my parameters were all over the place. They would swing up and down like crazy.

[​IMG]

At the top you can see my most recent tests and how I've been able to dial in my dosing to fractions of a ml and get it very even over multiple days. This combined with my skimmer and overall just being more in tuned with my tank has shown great improvement in my corals.

#15 eschulist, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Justin715

Justin715 TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Supporter

Thank you for that information and thorough explanation.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Looks pretty nifty. May convince me to switch my old unit for a new one depending on pricing when released. Next they should release a product called the "Shield" that tests for nitrates and phosphates.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Adam G

Adam G Born to Reef!
    Lifetime Member

Love this info. Can’t wait to get one!

19. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Was just talking to some Neptune buddies in California as I climatize my new apex. Sounds like testing is going well and it could be out sooner than later. Didn’t quantity what sooner means in the Gregorian calendar system. But, sounds like we are heading in the right direction.

• Like Like x 1
  20. eschulist

Could definitely be possible. On R2R there are users who are testing Hanna Nitrite testers with Red Sea reagents to create a Nitrate tester. This is similar to how BRS was calibrating their expensive Hach tester with Red Sea reagents for one of the investigation episodes.

Once it’s released into the public there maybe be people concocting their own reagent brews with rodi and various acids / powders to create a Nitrate or Phosphate Test. Now the test would still have to be calculated out so that when ran through the Trident it would display Nitate in a 250-600 range (Calcium). Users would have to run various known Nitrate samples through the device to get a base curve. ie .1 Nitrate equals 250 Calcium 1 Nitrate equals 350, 10 Nitrate shows 500 etc. After enough tests you could see a Curve and using some math figure out your true values. If Neptune takes the initiative they may be able to program in some way to switch the underlying calculation and displayed values. They could also then sell those reagent packs to swap. Or they just make a whole new unit that does similar testing like the Trident. This is me just throwing lofty ideas out there. None of this is currently happening or being tested.

• Like Like x 1