New/beginning Reefer! Current stage and background

Discussion in 'New to the hobby?' started by Colin Anderson, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Colin Anderson

Hello all! My name is Colin and I've FINALLY pulled the trigger on starting (rather exploring) my interest in saltwater aquariums/reefing after +6 months of countless hours in research and investigation. With an end goal of a reef and fish saltwater tank in mind, I have a feeling that this will grow from a hobby/interest into an obsession. And I look forward to it :)

Background
    : My entire childhood, from when I could remember to me moving out of the house ~18 y/o, my dad has been a saltwater tank FANATIC. Like the kind of fanatic who went out into the oceans of Hawaii and caught his own livestock throughout the early 90's (we were living in Honolulu at the time), regardless of the probable? legal repercussions at the time. Since then, my fascination has always been in the beauty and understanding of saltwater life. He, unfortunately, has not been in the picture for quite some time now, but I fully intend on carrying out that passion and legacy through my own experiences and help from passionate people in this community and other alike. I look forward to learning, being involved and sharing with this community as I grow as a reefer and I appreciate TCMAS for helping me to do so.

Current Stage: I have acquired a 80 gallon aquarium with a 20 gallon sump with my next intentions of buying materials to build a sturdy stand, return pump and PVC plumbing for a Herbie style draining system - with the knowledge and understanding of needing to drill, clean and prep for water application. Then of course all the necessary additions to getting water into the tank and starting my cycling. The road has just barely started, but I look forward to the struggle, frustration, constant perseverance and long road of getting the tank acclimated and ready for life.

I look forward to all the assistance, stories and recommendations this community has to offer! Be rest assured that I will be "creeping" on countless forums/posts and awing over the beautiful tanks out there and fully intend on being physically involved with events. Thanks and happy reefing!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Juskr

Juskr Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Welcome to TCMAS!

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    Colin Anderson

4. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

Welcome! Be sure to check out the calendar and consider attending an upcoming meeting - that'll get you a year membership and allow you to see the classifieds which can be helpful sourcing equipment and livestock for your new build.

We also have a frag swap coming up in a few months (April 28th), I'd recommend making that if you can!

5. OP
    Colin Anderson

That sounds awesome! I will check out the calendar and look for that. Thanks for the warm welcome!

6. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Welcome

• Like Like x 1
  7. NotJacques

NotJacques Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Nice bio. Welcome to the club. "Creeping" doesn't make one a "creeper" on here. :)

As DarkSky said, put the frag swap on the calendar, you won't regret it

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    Colin Anderson

I fully intend too! Thanks :)

9. AmyZ

AmyZ I am the MOTHER
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018