New RO water is cloudy?

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by mrbill, Jul 14, 2020.

1. mrbill

mrbill I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

So I finally got water in my new 54 cube and its cloudy. This is straight, fresh RO water, no salt has been added yet. I noticed the same thing early this year when I set up a frag tank. At that time I filled the frag tank with water and salt at the same time so the water would normally be cloudy. The FT's LED lighting really made the water look milky. The FT has never fully cleared up and I blamed it on the salt mix I used. Now I'm thinking its the water. I have been doing this for years and never had a problem like this. My water has always been crystal clear once the salt is full dissolved. The RO membrane is almost new and the water tests good for TDS. I wanted to wait before I add the salt to see if there is a good way to clear it up. Any suggestions?

2. infinityends

infinityends Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I wonder if there was some residue on the glass from manufacturing that wasn't noticeable until it was dissolved into the water.
    Assuming new meant brand new anyway, not new to you but used, in which case there could still have been something I suppose...

As far as clearing it up, carbon and filter floss are probably the simplest way to go.

3. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019 Meeting Host 2020

4. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Is the RO unit old? I have heard that they can build bacteria up if not sanitized or cleaned (I don't know how)

But may be worth looking into as cloudy water is usually a sign of bacteria bloom

5. Rendgrish

Rendgrish Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Is there any substrate in the tank yet? That can cloud things up for a few days, depending how well it's washed.
    Couple other thoughts - was the water cloudy when you added it, or did that come later? Ie- if you put it straight into a glass, is it still cloudy? And just to verify- you're running a DI unit as well?

6. OP
    mrbill

mrbill I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

I'm at a loss on this. No sand, no rock, no salt and its cloudy. It does seem that my frag tank is looking better after adding all my livestock and live rock to it. The RO membrane and other filters were just replaced and the fresh RO water was going into the new system as fast as it was made. Now I'm wondering if I need to chlorinate my well. Anyway, I have been running a 5 mic filter sock and I think it's helping so I decided to add the salt and see what happens.

#6 mrbill, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020