New to me display system

Discussion in 'New to the hobby?' started by mushroom fishes, Mar 20, 2020.

1. mushroom fishes

TCMAS Supporter

So thanks to everyone who has sold me given me or pointed me in the right direction and especially to this organization as a whole my new display is in its final stages and plan on putting all the parts together next week cuz well thanks to the covid 19 virus I really don't have much else to do. Im going to explain what I've got and my plan so if anyone sees a definite problem please let me know thanks.

Ok so here goes, I've got a 193 gallon display tank with a center overflow. That's going down to a 40 gallon breeder diy sump, on the waters way I plan on putting a diy alge scrubber that drains into two filter socks in the first chamber of a 3 chamber sump. Which will also hold my reef octopus SX 160 skimmer then to the second chamber which will have cheato with bio bricks on the bottom x 4 then through secondary mechanical filter pad and to the third chamber with bio sticks on the bottom and by return pump. In conjunction with the sump I also have a carbon reactor and a GFO reactor which will pull water from the third chamber in the sump and dump back into the third chamber near the return intake. Lastly a smart ATO system to keep water level stable and two dosing pumps for the two part calcium system.

On top due to budget restraints I'm using two Wills dimmable LED lights from Amazon along with two double t-5 light fixtures also from Amazon so total for lights I'll have two LED panels similar to the radions and 4 t-5 florescent lights. I do have a Seneye par meter so I can attempt to dial in the proper par levels.

Inside the tank will be 100 lbs of reef saver dead rock and 2 Hydor 1160 wave pumps run by a Hydor wave controller and two cheap 650 wave pumps on constant just in case the wave maker dies I don't loose all flow.

The stand is a diy build with a knotty cedar skin I think it looks pretty good. And I plan on posting a few pictures once it's all together and functional.

And I almost forgot I'll be running a Cobalt 500 watt twin heater in the tank. I do have a reef controller I picked up from a member but I'm having issues figuring it out but plan on using that after I figure out how to use it and I admit I haven't spent much time trying to figure it out either.

So there I think that's everything any definite problems please let me know like I said I plan on putting it all together next week thanks in advance to everyone.

2. Nickz

Nickz Nobody
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

I don't know about others but I prefer to run my turf scrubbers with a dedicated pump vs the drain from the display. I like the ability to turn it off without shutting down my return and I like the option to size my scrubber pump to the scrubber.

3. OP
    mushroom fishes

TCMAS Supporter

4. OP
    mushroom fishes

TCMAS Supporter

I see what your saying and this is my first attempt at an alge scrubber figured I could use the overflow water by way of a gate valve to control the flow of water through the scrubber and in the same note make it removable without shutting down the filtration. So the water can completely bypass the scrubber just by turning a knob. I thought it was genius but I appreciate the comment. I may reconsider this idea it will definitely get more thought thank you

5. Nickz

Nickz Nobody

One of the important things with turf scrubbers is flow, a minimum of actual 35 gph of flow per inch of screen length. That could be tough to get accurately with a drain, not impossible though I suppose.

6. OP
    mushroom fishes

TCMAS Supporter

My return pump is supposed to pump 1400 gph am I wrong on thinking that's roughly what I'll have available through the overflow? I know I'll loose some gph due to head pressure but was thinking I should be able to get as high as 100 gph per inch on a 12 inch long screen. Not sure of what it's exact dimensions are going to be yet. I want to start building before I build the scrubber just to be sure everything fits had to change my plan on the stand half way cuz I wouldn't have been able to get the sump in or out without deconstruction with the original plan. The lights I got are 8x6 so will have to be that big at a minimum.

7. Nickz

Nickz Nobody

You'll likely lose over half to head pressure

8. OP
    mushroom fishes

TCMAS Supporter

Really over half that seems excessive. But I've never tested output of an overflow before so I won't argue. Is there some way to test the pump to figure out what I will get from the overflow? I'd rather not have to get another pump, and I've spent too much $ on the scrubber materials to scrap the idea completely. But stuff like this is exactly why I put it on the forum before the build rather find out now than have a problem 6 weeks from now. I really do appreciate your Input

9. Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2019

Here's the main problem with running an ATS off the drain. Because it is not free flowing like a straight drain you are not going to get the same gph through it. It is very difficult to get enough water pressure through gravity feed to get the needed gph. If you increase your return pump you'll just overflow the tank. If you split the return so some bypasses the ATS you'll still just have too low of gph through the ATS. It is all about how much gravity feed can force through the slot in the ATS. A drain has good flow, but almost no pressure.

If you want to use one pump a manifold on the return pump would work better, but I would recommend a dedicated pump. It is a lot less hassle. You can set the gph where the ATS needs and you can easily shut it down for the weekly harvest. I had the same idea running an ATS from the drain and quickly abandoned it.

10. OP
    mushroom fishes

TCMAS Supporter

Ok two people both made good points on the scrubber so I'll probably be purchasing another pump to run it how about the rest of the plan good bad suggestions. Said it before but this is exactly what I was looking for, this is an expensive hobby and I'd rather not waste money and time on stuff that won't work or won't do what I want it to thanks again.

11. Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2019

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has run both chaeto and an ATS. I've thought about it but was also thinking the two algae based filters would just compete with each other and neither would work to full potential.

I am thinking you might be a little low on flow depending on what you are planning on growing. SPS it would probably be low. I am running 3 WAVs in a 180g at a peak of 100%. I did try a Hydro 1600 as my 3rd pump, but the flow did not have much reach. I switched it for another WAV and moved the hydro to my sump to help with 2-part dosing (needed more flow where the 2-part was being added).

You may need a backup heater depending on what you keep the house at. My house is at 63 in the winter and I run a pair of 300w as primary and a 200w set to come on if the tank gets too far below the set point. The backup heater has not been needed much but it is nice to have for when one of the primaries eventually fail.

Adding 1 or two pieces of live rock will help seed your dry rock.

12. Nickz

Nickz Nobody

I know @Gary runs both chaeto and ats

13. OP
    mushroom fishes

TCMAS Supporter

I'm Planning on having both just because I've had to battle alge in the past and I hate it so I'd rather be over filtering and have to supplement than have to battle alge again. It's probably Overkill but I'm ok with that