OT: Electrical Question

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by KJoFan, Sep 12, 2019 at 8:46 AM.

1. KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter Meeting Host 2018

Ok, this is kind of off topic but if there are any electricians in the house I'd appreciate some input.

Full story as concise as I can make it is a few weeks ago, a burner on our electric stove went out which ended up tripping the breaker for the stove. Not a big deal (other than it's a $600 fix) we've been getting along fine without the burner. Fast forward to a day or so ago, our dryer is tripping the breaker. After much investigation it appears the heating coil must be touching the housing somehow and heating more than it should in terms of time and heat. When running the dryer on air dry, the coil is glowing. Ok, so we unplugged it last night because we read it can heat even when the dryer is off.

Last night, we had some storms come through, but nothing special, just typical thunderstorms, lightning but nothing close even. Woke up at 12 something to a GFCI in the living room alerting that was tripped. I unplugged the air freshener and reset it and it was fine.

Fast forward a few hours later the surge protector by the bed is alarming. I flipped it on and off and no change. So I left it off.

This morning I went downstairs to check things out and the GFCI for the tank was also tripped, no power there. I reset the GFCI and everything started back up.

Is this just all an unfortunate chain of unrelated events or is there something more going on here. As I said, we didn't lose power or even have it flicker in the night with the storms but...something is surging to cause all these trips I'd have to think.

2. Justin715

Justin715 TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Supporter

Honestly I would go on R2R and ask the same question but @Brew12 he's an electrician and the designated one on there that helps others with their electrical hiccups.
    Personally it sounds like more than just coincidence but I'm not an electrician far from actually.

3. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter Meeting Host 2018

I'll ask there. I'm thinking it all seems too closely related/timed as well, but I do know in a town only a few miles away they did experience a power surge last night so...maybe?