PAR for the course?

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by Fross, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Fross

Fross Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Hello Reefers,
    for lights, I am running 2 Radion Gen 2 pro's with 4 T5 bulbs over a 24" deep 90gal. This last week I rented a PAR meter from BRS and I was a bit surprised by the results, which i I will post below. I am hoping to have SPS on all of the top plateau's and figured it would not be difficult to get a ~350 PAR across each tops which are about 7" deep. The higer readings at the top are about 2".

In order to get to the numbers in the graph I have my lights at 11" above the water, cranked the radions up to 100% and using the AB+ spectrum, turned the WC from 24% up to 40%. I feel like I am really having to push hard to even break 300 PAR. Are my rocks just too deep? I don usually see anyone running their radions much over 50%. Would it make a big difference to go to Gen3?

upload_2019-11-8_21-30-43.png

2. Nickz

Nickz Nobody
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

Realistically you don't NEED to break 300 par. I have seen several tanks with decent looking /growing sps under less than that. Until recently everyone just believed they had plenty of light since few bothered with the par meter. I have personally found sps to do well even at 200 par or slightly under.

I know anytime can say anything without meaning so here's a couple frags that are coloring up and growing sitting at around 150-175 par max. Granted they may not be growing as fast as some others sitting in 250-350 but they are growing and staying healthy.just crappy cell pics. First one was just a white blob when I got it.

BD933579-5736-47C6-A53C-A6686FA37E47.jpeg 6790B5B1-AAD6-4138-93A9-BF43C219B59B.jpeg

#2 Nickz, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018 Meeting Host 2019

What Nick said.

You can run lower PAR and stretch out the light duration vs run higher PAR and lower duration.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018 Meeting Host 2019

What they said... all my sticks measure 120-250. There are some that get a better tan under high light for sure but all mine look pretty good IMO and it's easier for a mixed reef.

*just happen stance but all mine on the lower end are green varieties. The acro on the lowest end for measuring is my best grower but the color is less intense than I know it can be (bottom left in my tank). Who knows, maybe a weed in better placement.

Generally speaking I wonder if certain colors (in acros) favor more intensity. I'd bet blues and reds in particular show better in higher par.

Anyone have an opinion?

#4 RSnodgrass, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  5. Adam G

Adam G Born to Reef!
    Lifetime Member

I am 200 on the sand 375 at the top of my rocks and that is plenty for me. 4 bulb t-5 and radions set to 65% peak. I just have more radions per foot than you. You could consider picking up a 3rd Radion. That would give you more light overlap and bump up your PAR.

I agree with these other yahoos, I think you par is just fine. However used Gen 2’s Can be had pretty cheap so I pretty affordable way to bump it up if need be.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018 Meeting Host 2019

I think that's true depending in the species for sure. Some SPS will have completely different colors depending on lighting - my garf bonsai is around 400 and is hating it, so I may have to try and find a way to move it but it is so encrusted already.

My walt disney is hot pink with blues/yellows under 650 and max flow.

image-20191108_211935.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. spsick

spsick Acro-poor-a
    Lifetime Member

I think your PAR chart looks great with exceptional spread. Run like that and if after a few months you feel you need more bump up your photo period.

8. OP
    Fross

Fross Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Thanks for all the replies and confirmations. I'm sure what I have is fine. I was just surprised I had to push everything so hard to even sniff 300. Maybe I'll get another radion and see if that allows me to move the lights up a bit for better spread.

• Like Like x 1
  9. spsick

spsick Acro-poor-a
    Lifetime Member

Dumb question but what T5 bulbs? Assuming blue/actinic? You could swap out 2 of those for coral+ and save some of the white from the leds.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gary

Gary This all started with "Rivers South Reefkeepers"
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2018 Meeting Host 2019

Your PAR looks pretty similar to mine with 2 radon's and 4 T5's. I think Adam has a point that if you add another Radion you could increase it. I noticed that the Radion have a very concentrated spot so maybe diffusers would help. It wouldn't increase your PAR but at least spread out those higher readings you show. I run mine at 75% now but they are Gen 3's. I haven't seen any bleaching and I get about 350 reaching down 6" then dropping off from there. The spot right under the Radion is 450 at 4" down. I have my rock work stacked right under the light to maximize this.

11. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018 Meeting Host 2019

I think you meant diffuser would decrease par but spread out.