Hey guys, I am not looking for sympathy here but wanted to post this for your safety. Honestly it all good. (long post sorry) If I did this right you will find pictures in the photo album under my profile. I also have more pictures at: http://RichMomentsPhotography.zenfolio.com/p844913878 Thanksgiving morning I had some time to kill before we left for our Thanksgiving celebration with family. I have maintained two saltwater tanks (poorly I may add) for a number of years. In parallel with getting more active in the hobby I have been downsizing and in the process of combing the two tanks, a 90 and a 180 into one. Thanksgiving morning I preformed the normal maintenance in the 90 gallon tank in our living room. A quick water top off, wipe down the inside and outside of the tank and a few other tank-keeping chores. I also added a new circulation pump to one corner of the tank. Brief time table: 11:00 left for Thanksgiving Celebration 3:30 Daughter stopped to let the dog out on her way to Grandma's. A little after 6:00, frantic call from neighbor about alarm and plastic burning smell. 6:30 arrive home to 6 fire trucks 7:00 on the phone with insurance to set-up temp housing. From talking to another neighbor, the house alarm was first heard at about 4:30, he thought it was a car alarm. (see how much I am saving by not having my home alarm monitored?) About 6:00 another neighbor heard the alarm and investigated. Plastic could be smelled burning. I was called in parallel with the Fire department. The fire department arrived within minutes of the call. (thanks guys) however the fire was already out. They rescued a dog in the upper bedroom, the bird feet from ground zero and began to vent the house. Initially I thought the cord for the powerhead I had added that morning looked to have started the fire but on further investigation it points more toward the PFO VHO fluorescents. There were 2 PFO Metal Halides also in the hood which were not in use at the time of the fire. 6 months ago I disassembled the lighting and filtering system to clean and check all connections etc. I am an electronics technician by trade and work with high voltage so have at least a little clue when it comes to this stuff The lighting and tank plastic began to burn and then caught the hood. The hood and lighting collapsed into the tank extinguishing itself. Part of the plastic overflow fell behind the tank and to the floor igniting the carpet and tank stand. The heat from this portion of the fire cracked the back and bottom of the tank. The 90 gallon tank breached, extinguishing the rest of the fire. The fire was contained to the plastic of the top rim of the tank, the wood tank hood, the wood stand and some scorching of the drywall and carpet below. There is little structural damage and no one was hurt. Smoke damage on all four levels and saltwater damage to two. The two year old furnace will again be replaced due to smoke and saltwater ingestion and we will at least have new carpet and paint on two levels. The 13 month old front door will be replaced and there is talk about vacuuming out the 4 year old insulation in the attic and replacing it with new due to the smoke damage. Many other surfaces will have to be cleaned, sealed and or replaced. We did choose to have a 15 year old German Sheppard put down so that she would not suffer from the smoke inhalation she experienced. This was on top of her arthritic hips and other health issues. Somehow our cockatiel, being 8 feet away survived and is doing well at this point. The inhabitants of the tank are gone of course. I have a second tank down stairs (180) and the one inhabitant a 6" Red Sea Sailfin tang is surviving so far. Given the current events I might not move him upstairs now. We are blessed in so many ways. I am thankful for all our friends and family, I am thankful that the 7 of us were not sleeping at the time this occurred. I am thankful the insurance company has been so thorough in making sure we are taken care of. We have hired a contractor to handle the clean up, we will be living in a comfortable extended stay hotel until sometime in January, the kids are all happy and doing great. Now if I could only get the smell of BBQ'ed fish tank out of my nose. The damage in the tank was substantial enough that the exact cause was not determined but it is assumed some connection in the VHO lighting became faulty over time. As I said I have been pretty meticulous about maintenance in recent months, something was missed. Be sure your smoke detectors in the area of your tanks are replaced once a year. Be sure you tie a knot in cords or at least have a drip loop in each cord leading to a power source. Be sure and replace your outlet strips every two years or as they show signs of tank weathering or salt crawl. Saltwater does a number on all of these items. It looks like I will be again taking a break from the hobby for a while. At this point I will need to find a home for the Sailfin and I think I am going to try to find a buyer for the 180 or at leas the liverock and possibly the sand although there are a number of tubeworms in that tank.