-SPONSOR- Pick up corals poll

Discussion in 'Flounder's Frags' started by Flounder, Dec 29, 2018.

?

When I buy livestock from members:

1. I expect to see the tank it came from.

40.0%
  2. I dont care if I see the tank or not.

30.0%
  3. I like to make exchange at public location.

3.3%
  4. It depends how much money I am about to spend.

26.7%
  1. Flounder

Flounder BRS Reef Squad!
    TCMAS Supporter

20181211_213552.jpg Hello,
    I'm still new to this sponsorship level of reefing. Please answer my little questionnaire. This info and any comments left will help me serve you better,
    Thanks,

2. abhishek

abhishek Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Well how can I give up the chance to see your tank in person especially when you have a bandit angel :D

Regards,
    Abhishek

3. ikserk

ikserk Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member

I marked it as "I don't care" but it certainly is beneficial to see the source tank and talk about some general parameters and history of the livestock. I certainly don't "expect" to see it though. I've been pretty picky though in general and buy from members that I know and to some degree trust/respect them as a reef keeper

4. patent

patent Ok Moderator
    BOD Lifetime Member

I voted for "expect to see the tank", but that isn't precise. I love to see the tank, I don't know if this is correct, but I believe I can get a better sense of the lighting and flow the colony is doing well at when I see it in person. So I prefer to see the tank. That said, if I have to drive 2 hours to see it, or if the owner just doesn't want public types coming into the house, has a skittish dog, a grumpy spouse, whatever, I don't worry about it.

When I was breeding, I only let people in if I had time to clean the basement up enough that they could walk through without tripping and killing themselves. To an extent, I think folks should understand that if they want the retail experience, they should pay the retail price.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fross

Fross Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Like others have stated, it's not a basic yes or no question. There are caveats. If I'm picking up a 10 pack of frags via Reefking, I'm ok doing the deal in a seedy gas station parking lot. If I'm buying a homewrecker or large colony for several hundred dollars, I probably want to see the thing looking fat and happy before being bagged up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

I voted that I expect to see the tank from where the frag came from, but...
    I don’t necessarily need to see the tank in person. If I have seen the tank in a build thread that has described the system, I have enough confidence to buy the frag(s) sight unseen. Granted, I will most likely ask questions about the current condition of the tank and if they’ve experienced any issues; i.e. algae or pests.

7. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

I'd clarify my vote as expect to see as "I'd like to but don't expect to". It was the closest to what I was thinking.

#7 RSnodgrass, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I like to see the tank, but not mandatory. I just like seeing others system.

9. AmyZ

AmyZ I am the MOTHER

I selected I expect to see the tank but it's not mandatory....I just love seeing others tanks and what they've used or doing and the aquascaping....same reason I attend meetings lol

10. VikingsCrazy

VikingsCrazy I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Same here

11. Nickz

Nickz Just some guy

I did don't care, it's always nice to be able to look at others tanks/systems but not a necessity. On the flip side of that is, as someone is looking at the tank you could potentially sell other frags from that viewing as well. I know we've had people come to pick up one thing and leave with several.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

It really depends, most of the time, I would prefer to meet somewhere close to my location, and often times I just want to pick up the goods and go. I don't usually have a lot of free time so I don't often want to stay and BS, especially if it's someone I haven't met/dealt with before.

If I'm selling something that's easy to just bag up and meet somewhere, then it is definitely at a public place if I haven't met you yet. I have 2 large, excitable dogs and frankly I don't like random people I haven't met coming to my house.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

If I'm going to pick it up, I'd like to see the tank. That seems customary. :)

14. livestuff

livestuff I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

I like this idea. But then again time is another thing. It seems to fly when chatting about our tanks and systems. but a quick look is
    is nearly always inspiring.;)

15. Reefking

Reefking Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I have another option to consider. Mr Flounder has the holy grail of reef tanks. I would propose that he just leaves a metal can for cash deposits and make the whole operation self service. For example, if you are a tcmas member, then you should be able to frag the coral yourself. This idea would allow very little oversight on the part of mr flounder, which would benefit all parties. He could just have a time designated every sunday from 10am-12pm, while he is at church. Just leave the clippers on the counter....

Priceless idea.

16. jjwhiteboy

jjwhiteboy I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Supporter

I do not expect to see the tank in person but a current pic of mother colony and pic of its location in the display tank it came from is always appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gary

Gary Started in '96
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2018

Shoot, everybody knows you have amazing coral growth and really nice tanks. Maybe just have a meeting at your place once a year. I'd love to see your systems sometime.