LPS Coral Contest Plate Coral

Discussion in 'The Great Coral Contest 2020' started by BlindSwordsman, Dec 27, 2019.

1. BlindSwordsman

I don't think I'm qualified for the prize but I'll join the game. Here is a hitch hiker plate coral I got from a small rock with zoanthids (some 'wild' stuff) I bought online. I actually moved it around and killed it 4 times. It kept on growing back from the 'stem' that was left. It had a quite dull green color before. This time, it appears that the coral is showing some orange stripes? It's currently about 1/2", secured on a 2" frag disc this time so hopefully I won't kill it again :D.

blindswordsman_hitchhikerplate.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. OP
    BlindSwordsman

UPDATE: As of today, Jan 21st, about 1 month after the last picture was taken. I think it has grown a bit .. Or maybe I'm just imagining things! :D

blindswordsman_hitchhikerplate_jan2020.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019 Meeting Host 2020

It looks like it has some real potential on color, will be cool to see it get bigger.

4. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

This is looking great. Can't wait to see what it looks like fully grown out!

5. OP
    BlindSwordsman

It might not be the prettiest thing but it is so hardy, such a tough cookie, that I would not want to let it go. I tried a bunch of orange plate, red plate, rainbow plate, .. after seeing how hardy this one was. I lost all except this one. It kept growing back even when I damaged it badly. It proves not all corals are the same and I might be a coral killer but it might not be my fault completely :p:p:p

6. JT_Bauer

This is going to be a great thread! Keep posting pictures so we can see how it goes! Definitely following along!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. OP
    BlindSwordsman

A side shot.

plate1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    BlindSwordsman

This might be an updated picture of this coral for a while. Want to continue this charade to show its growth but 1) used up all of the frag racks in my frag tank so the rack is not available to show the exact original shot perspective 2) just bought too many scolys and needed to move it into a spot that is a bit troublesome to get it out every time :D ... 3) intended to drop from the race at the end anyways since I'm not going to win any prize regardless. But, if this thread is still not closed later, I will post more pictures of it later when I'm not too lazy. Meanwhile, if someone wants to see some pictures, I'll post pictures of other stuff that is easier for me to access, on my tank's 'tank build' thread instead.

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

9. OP
    BlindSwordsman

Hope everyone is doing well!

A little update on the plate. It's still alive. The smaller one in the picture is the one that I've submitted for the contest. Both of the plates are growths from the same stem. The bigger one is actually the previous growth that was accidentally broken out from the stem that the small one then grew out of. Here comes the picture.

plates_april2020.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    BlindSwordsman

I'm NOT submitting the last entry for the contest. Just want to give an update on the thing :). It is still alive, doing quite well, a bit neglected in the back of the tank though :(. Picture taken just a moment ago before I sat down with my morning cup of coffee :D.

plate_july2020.jpg

• Like Like x 1