Refugium Substrate

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by vikingr8der, Jan 5, 2019.

1. vikingr8der

vikingr8der Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Hello all, looking for some input on a new build of mine. I am in the process of adding a display refugium under my main tank and am trying to figure the best substrate to have in it. The main purpose of the refugium will be a place to grow things like macro algae and pods, etc with a secondary purpose being nutrient control. Are people still doing DSB? I myself have never run one. Or mud? sand like the display? BB? reasons for one over another? I like the look of a planted tank so it will have multiple species of macro. 40br under a 120

2. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

I don't have substrate in my funge because of equipment and higher flow. A legitimate dsb with critters is still being done very successfully. Lots of sand dwelling critters out there you normally don't see because of limited demand... is a place out of FL selling them ad I recall.

3. Adam G

Adam G Born to Reef!
    Lifetime Member

I had a 75g fuge with a 2” layer of substrate and then a 3” layer of live rock rubble. Was a pod farm for sure. Started with different macro algae’s and ran with just Chaeto the last couple years. Was very pretty as well. Salty Bottom sells Aquacultured live rock rubble if something like that interests you.

4. OP
    vikingr8der

vikingr8der Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

2019-01-07 21.47.23.jpg 2019-01-01 22.33.04.jpg I must say that I am intrigued at the thought of a dsb, one of the aspects I love most about reefing is the wide variety of life. I haven't installed the baffles in my sump yet, originally was going to be a triton style with chaeto in the first chamber, still could do that and have my display refugium or maybe that would take out too many nutrients? I attached a couple of pics of things in the works.

5. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

I'm running triton style, with half of my 75g sump dedicated to my refugium. I have some rock rubble in the bottom that was left over from when I cured by rockwork, other than that it's just mulm and bare bottom.