Restarting a tank questions.

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by guy9smiley2, Aug 1, 2020.

1. guy9smiley2

guy9smiley2 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Hey guys I’ve been Mia a few years. With a huge remodel on my house the tanks all had to come down except my 24g led nano cube. It’s been up and running but not fish or corals just keeping rock and Sand alive sadly. Have a few questions as I’m going to start this back up and eventually get my 120 fatboy going again.

-does di resin go bad from sitting? My tds meter is still showing 0. Or should I just replace it? I will be doing the other filters as well. Do I need to worry about the membrane? The unit is at least 8 years old but tds ends up 0.

-I have a bag of salt left and of live sand. Still factory sealed. Do they ever go bad? Or since they’re sealed good to go?

-I plan to do a 75% water change when I move the cube and reset it up where I want it. Then wait a little and do a 50%. Try to get parameters back where they need to be as it’s been dormant. Is there anything else you guys would do? Like I said been running but just top off of water.

-what is the best way to clean up old pumps and skimmers I unfortunately did not put them away the cleanest. As I had so much going on. I know I’ll have to probably replace some but what is my best bet to try to get them clean? Vinegar and water and let them soak them run?

Thanks for the input guys!

#1 guy9smiley2, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. Nickz

Nickz Nobody
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019 Meeting Host 2020

With nothing in the tank to keep the bacteria alive, is the rock really still alive?

8 years old, I would replace it all just because.

As for cleaning the equipment, vinegar or citric acid should do it. Let them soak until you can easily clean them up.

3. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019 Meeting Host 2020

I'd still use the DI... zero is zero. That said keep an eye on it as exposure to air if the bag wasn't perfectly sealed shortens the lifespan.

Salt is fine however its possible the materials in the bucket could have started to separate into layers. Definitely want to mix it.

How long has the rock/sand been used?

4. OP
    guy9smiley2

guy9smiley2 Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Nick- this tank has been running without fish for 2 years tops. Sorry I didn’t specify the ro Unit is 8 years old. And I will try the vinegar and water. That was my first thoughts.

Rsnodgrass- the di has been in the unit still on the wall. The extra salt I have is still sealed in the bed in the box as well as the new love Sand is still factory sealed in the bag.