Ricordia woes

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by curlyq, Jan 10, 2019.

1. curlyq

I’ve had this one orange ric for about 6 months. When I got it, it split within 2 weeks and I thought things were looking up (even though it was only about the size of a nickel). Well, it’s been on a very slow demise ever since. Now it’s about pencil eraser sized, and I feel it just barely hanging on before melting away completely. I’ve had it in high flow, low flow, high light to low light. Currently it’s on the bottoms in medium flow. My water isn’t the cleanest, but sps are growing and my other ric night next to it is doing just fine. What gives? I’ve started to try to target feed it, but it’s only taken a little bit once a few days ago - will try again tonite. My mushrooms also aren’t splitting and growing either, so I’m confused what I’m not doing because I had a hard time stopping shrooms from growing previously. Tips are much appreciated. I’d like to save this little guy if possible.

2. OP
    curlyq

3. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

Ricordia are a challenge, they can't thrive *without stability in location, imo. Keep in mind anything you read anywhere is not fact it's personal guessing. The best people out there don't have a clue, yet. Anecdotes are all we have.

Often when adding to a tank a lowish flow lowish light area (under 80 par) is a good idea. Then leave them be for a month or more. Later there are some that will thrive north of 120 par but you will also see them reach that direction.

Biologically they are a unique beast that thrives or dies in a system. An established system is better. Some will go years without splitting, especially if the system is too clean in my experience. Don't confuse higher nutrients in the tank from algae and a gross system.

My most successful adventure into ricordia turned 4 into a couple hundred and was on a system with 1-2 water changes a year. Low calc investment compared to any sps tank I've seen which may be coincidence.

I lost my colony moving and do not doubt was from having a new tank and moving its placement too many times. They do not respond quickly to changes. Now after a year when my remaining blue ricordia are plump and doing well. My chato practically doubles weekly and I haven't moved them for 8mo from their spot in the bottom of the tank.

Bacteria and other things can also wipe them out (similar reactions that point to bacteria observed but not actually identified.

If you loose it I'd suggest not adding any to the tank for a few months in case of an infection. My second attempt since moving was going great then I added one without quarantine, within two weeks all of my previous ricordia and yuma were melting that had been fine for two months except my few blue which i lost a couple again.

Pink yuma are widely identified as the devil. If they look super vibrant it's very probable that they are about to die. If you ever buy pink I buy from an established tank where it's been for at least a couple weeks.

My 2 cents... we think we know but we have no idea.

#3 RSnodgrass, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RSnodgrass

Others have dosed elements commonly used by soft leathers, I have not, they said they had success and attributed it to that.

5. OP
    curlyq

Yikes! I hadn't seen those pictures full size like that. They look terrible! Sorry.

Thanks for the reply. I'm considering that I've been hitting it with too much light. Before it's most recent placement, I had it in semi-shade on the sand bed and it seemed to be getting a little better. I then got a diamond goby so it had to get off the floor and on some rocks.

At one point I had it as high on my rocks as I could get, with my radions on 75%. I might still be seeing latent effects from that blasting? It's more recent placement, while on the bottom, is directly under the radions. Perhaps I'll move it yet again to be right next to my blastos. I have those basically in full shade, and they are doing better now than ever before. Full and plump all the time with excellent color. I haven't checked PAR in the tank yet, but it's pretty low back there.

I don't think it has an infection - It's never done great, and the other one I added (and haven't moved) has been pretty stable the entire time. Thanks for the tip though on that front.

iodne maybe? I don't have any lugols, but I have a huge bottle of betadine. Maybe I'll see if I can find a conversion - from my memory the main difference is only the iodine concentration.

6. RSnodgrass

I've had my orange at it's highest light a 1/3 down under razers at 75% which is definitely less than a radion and about as high as I dare.

Sounds like matching your blastos would be a great start. It also isn't gaping in the.mouth and still plump which tells me there may be hope.

7. RSnodgrass

Lastly, I've always loved mounting rics sideways on a face vs flat because after a week to few weeks it so obviously favors moving lower or higher.

8. OP
    curlyq

Come to think of it....in the crappy picture above, I had just moved/rotated the frag plug because it had pointed itself into a hole and I couldn't feed it there. I think it might have been telling me it want's less light. My blastos are getting a neighbor tonight!