Ro/DI Filters

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by dirtrider225, Jan 8, 2019.

1. dirtrider225

dirtrider225 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

How often do you replace your filters? I havent really maintained any sort of schedule but think i am going to try and replace them a bit more frequently. I am thinking 2-3 months on the sediment filter and 4-6 months on the carbon blocks. R/O Membrane will likely be 1.5-2 years between swapping them out.

Outside of replacing filters, is there any other maintenance I should be doing on the unit??

2. abhishek

abhishek Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

What’s your incoming tds ?

After I started using spectrapure zetasorb sediment filter , maxcap di and enduro di , I haven’t changed filters in 1.5 years .

It’s crazy what spectrapure sediment filter zetasorb can do and it’s washable too . My DI consumption is almost nothing as the water going into DI is always 1 ppm after running RODI for 5 mins .

Booster pump is a big factor as the pressure should be above 60 in my case to make everything work optimally .

If you have never used spectrapure , you might want to look into them . Pricey but worth every penny and more in my book .

Regards,
    Abhishek

3. OP
    dirtrider225

dirtrider225 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

I do not know what the tds is out of the tap, but going into the resin it is between 1ppm and 2ppm using BRS sediment filter and 2x 1 micron universal carbon blocks. I have considered buying the Spectrapure 1:1 unit but $599 is a hard pill to swallow, and i dont think i go through enough water to justify the need for that efficiency.

4. abhishek

abhishek Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Well actually you can just buy the spectrapure filter cartridges and put them in your BRS system. Thats what I do .Most RODI filters are interchangeable !

Regards,
    Abhishek

5. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

I change my sediment filter every month or so, when it starts turning yellow. I change my carbon filters when their TDS starts to creep up above 15 TDS - incoming water is 20-30. I change my DI resin as needed, about every 300-400 gallons. I change one and swap the older one forward to deplete it completely.

I'm going to switch to 3 part resin next I think instead of the mixed bed.

6. Riley

Riley I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2018

Do you know your incoming tds? 1pmm out is really nice. I may need to look into that prefilter.

I had to look up what I have and when I made changes. I am running dual 75 gpd membranes, 355 tds in, 3 tds out, and get about 200 gallons out of di resin (standard size). Incoming pressure is 84psi. I change sediment when it starts turning color, don't remember when, but the interval isn't that much. I also sediment filter the house which helps. Carbon filters are at a year. I should probably change those. Membranes are at a year. I think I went five years on the membranes before changing.