salinity double checking help, anyone around ??

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by JS_racer, Mar 7, 2019.

1. JS_racer

JS_racer Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

hey, is anyone around today to help me double check some salinity readings.
    i received 2 packets of 35PPT SALINITY CALIBRATION SACHET hanna from bulk reef. checking my refractometer, with fluid at 77 deg, it read 22 or so. adjusted to 35 per packet, opened the second packet, read 35. now my water reads like 42 and ro reads 12.

my guess is the packets could be off ?? is it possible i ran my tank 12ppt high, in the 40s. seems unlikely. these are not recent builds and the refractometer is not new.

thoughts, or opinions here ?? thanks.
    have transportation and time, willing to travel. lol thanks!!

my mixing brute is a 44 i think, per height and width, and i use less than 1 50g salt bag for 35ppt.
    found my hydrometer and compared my mixed up water, lets call it 1.026 thats much closer to my ro/di calibration reference, compared to my 42ppt after the calibration fluid.

#1 JS_racer, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  2. Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2018

You are welcome to stop by my place tonight if you want to check some water with my refractometer and use yours to see what you get from my water. I'm in Apple Valley.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

You can not calibrate a refractometer with the hanna salinity packet.

NIST Traceable Salinity Calibration

Hanna HI70024P Salinity Calibration Sachets are perfect for any conductivity probe or pen. The single-use sachets are made of light-blocking foil that prevents oxidation, ensuring the solutions are as fresh as the day it was packaged. Each sachet is marked with a lot number that can be traced back to its original batch and is stable for up to 5 years in its packaging.

• Temperature scale printed on every sachet
    • Compact and easy to use sachets
    • Accurate and reliable
    • Works with salinity pens and probes

This sachet is designed to calibrate conductivity, which is different from refractometors :) I have the hanna salinity pen which uses those sachets (Love it!)

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    JS_racer

JS_racer Senior Member

conductivity, ahhhh but isnt 35ppt 35ppt ??
    https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/35ppt-salinity-calibration-sachet-hanna-instruments-hi70024p.html

confused here. ahh, some light. probably pick up the hanna tester since i have to swap some bulbs anyways in GV

Important Information about our HI98319

1. You cannot use the calibration solution for refractometers. The calibration solution is a 35ppt conductivity standard based off of the International Oceanographic Tables
    2. The calibration solution is a one time use and cannot be reused after calibration

#4 JS_racer, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  5. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I am not a scientist so dont know the differences, but know that you either need refractometor solution OR conductivity solution based on what you are calibrating. Hope you didnt get too big of a scare!

In the future, assuming you trust your RO/DI water It should read near 0 using a refractometor. IF it is majorly off (i.e.5+) I would not trust the refractory at that point.

6. infinityends

infinityends Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Essentially the solution doesn't work in a refractometer because that measures how much the light bends based on salt content. The calibration solution used by hanna may not even be saltwater, just a solution that will achieve the desired calibration of the probe based on electrical resistance.

If you are interested in more details. I recently ran across a new podcast called The Reef Talk (Same guy as Eat, Sleep, Reef Youtube Channel). Anyway, on Ep 4 (the most recent one) he interviewed a rep from hanna who also talked about the new salinity tester and explained in depth why the calibration solution can not be used to calibrate a refractometer.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. OP
    JS_racer

JS_racer Senior Member

No scare, knew something was way wrong, lol
    On my way to pick up that meter, be a nice change. Some days you don't know what you need till you screw up what you have. Lol.

Will probably take Ben up on his offer as well always nice to see a beautiful tank too.