Saying hello and looking for some advice

Discussion in 'New to the hobby?' started by G+11, Jan 4, 2020.

1. G+11

Hello to all!

I'm looking for advice on two different areas: cultivating charts and stocking.
    I've had a little 14 up for about two years and after we bought a house I was finally able to get my 75 up, running, and cycled. So now that it's all going I've transferred the livestock (a clown and a firefish) from the the 14 into the 75. The question I have about that is when should I try to start growing chaeto?

The other question is more involved, stocking. So as stated above all I have in the 75 currently is a clown fish and a firefish. The rest of the stocking that I would like to have is this, and this is the order that in would think to introduce them to the tank:

Bristle tooth or yellow tang
    School (4-6) of blue/green reef chroims
    Sand sifter goby(input on which one is welcome)
    Pair or school of banggai cardinal
    Blenny of some sort( input on which one is welcome)
    Assorted inverts, cleaner shrimp, a pistol shrimp for the goby and maybe an emerald crab.

So what do you all think, is it too much fish? Wrong order? Please give me your input. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

Sounds like a lot of fish but I usually stock light... get the tang small and anticipate trading it in at some point as it grows. Others will have better input.

The cheto can be run immediately.

Welcome and congratulations on the 75! Post some picks, any coral yet?

3. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Welcome to the club!

The better choice for a tang in the 75gal will be a bristletooth; Kole, Tomini, Two Spot, etc...
    Based on others' experiences, the school of chromis will likely dwindle down to a pair or single specimen.
    For a sand sifting goby, I have found the Tiger Watchman Goby as one of the hardier species of the Valenciennea genus. The Amblygobius spp. sleeper gobies are hardy as well. Technically not sand sifters, the Cryptocentrus spp. and Amblyeleotris spp. gobies are great for the sand bed when paired up with pistol shrimp (as you mentioned). Their diet is less dependent on sifting the sand and they create much less of a mess than the sand sifters. The Stonogobiops spp. gobies are also very fun, but they're smaller and quite shy compared to the other shrimp gobies.
    I would recommend just a pair of Bangaii Cardinalfish. I tried three and four at a time and once a pair has bonded, the outsiders were harassed and eventually needed to be removed.
    Blennies!!! I'm a huge fan of the genus Ecsenius. Lots of personality! They do pick at the rock but they are not algae eaters, so if you're wanting an algae eating blenny to help keep your rock clean look into the Salarius spp.

Here's some links to help you choose...
    Discussion: Tangs/Surgeonfishes
    Discussion: Gobies
    Discussion: Blennies

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

5. vikingr8der

vikingr8der Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Welcome,
    Jason is more of an expert on fish, so I can only offer experience here.
    I started out with a 75 myself. I have found in a tank that size, the chromis will eventually dwindle to one. Tried several times, just need a bigger tank for a school I believe. I had a tomini tang in that tank and he was one of my favorite fish, lots of personality and everyone loved his bright orange fins. I've had both diamond watchman and pink watchman gobies for sandsifters and they do a good job. Keep in mind the lower rocks can get covered in sand, especially where they decide to make a burrow. I have a pair of prawn gobies with a pistol shrimp in one of my tanks and they're cool, but you won't see them near as often as a watchman goby and they're much smaller so will have less effect on your sand. Only certain species will pair with a pistol shrimp as well. One of my favorite blennies was a tailspot blenny, super unique looking fish, but like Jason mentioned, didn't seem to eat a lot of algae. Lastly, make sure you have a nice screen lid if you don't already, I have lost fish from jumping before I put one on. Seems like it was always the longer, skinny ones, (gobies, blennies, etc)

• Like Like x 1
  6. AmyZ

AmyZ I am just fishy geek that crochets :D
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

7. infinityends

infinityends Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

It is a good rule of thumb for any fish purchase. But especially with fish like the sand sifting gobies that are notorious for starving. You will want to make sure to see it eating frozen or pellet food at the store since it is a new setup and the sand bed won't have had time to establish the micro fauna they feed on in the sandbed.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

Welcome!

If you need chaeto, pods, brittle stars or coralline algae, let me know! I've got bunches!

9. Oahu

Oahu Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Welcome aboard! I started with a 36, moved to a 75 (which I loved) and now have a 90. It's a great hobby with lots of dedication, and you have the ability to create that massive "wow" factor to anyone who views your tank. We're all here to help and answer questions!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Anchor

TCMAS Member

Bristle tooth or yellow tang = Bristle Tooth -- As size will matter, look at the yellow-eye kole or the Tomini. Don't look at it as a trade in nor something you will have to upgrade when it grows.
    School (4-6) of blue/green reef chroims = SKip these and look for Cardinals - as stated earlier, Chromis-- There can be only one....
    Sand sifter goby(input on which one is welcome) = personally I like the shrimp or watchman gobies.. though not exactly sand sifters.. I would look to Nassarius snails for that duty myself.
    Pair or school of banggai cardinal = PAIR
    Blenny of some sort( input on which one is welcome) = I like the Tail spot as well.. less freaky than some of the "grey" colored ones and wont get nearly as big.
    Assorted inverts, cleaner shrimp, a pistol shrimp for the goby and maybe an emerald crab. = I would tend to the Blood or Fire shrimp over the skunk.. just my preference, skip the Emerald crab unless you plan to have to control bubble algae, look to hermits as a clean up crew instead. Pistol shrimp to go with your watchman? Sure.
    In this order... Goby or Goby and shrimp, Cardinals, Blennie, the your Tang. Consider a wrasse then too.. I like the Yellow Coris as it has a better temperament than a 6 line in my opinion... might consider a fairy or flasher wrasse as well. Clean up crew and cleaner shrimp any time.. for snails, make sure they have something to eat first .. Is it too many animals/fish? borderline … is this going to be a reef or FOWLR?

My worthless 2 cents... Unless you consider it a collectable 2 cent piece from the 1800's

OH and WELCOME to TCMAS!

• Like Like x 1
  11. OP
    G+11

It will be a reef, tho its a slow start. All I have in there right now is a small rock of zoas, one small green mushroom and a smallish colony of gsp, all of these don't seem to be growing much.

12. Anchor

TCMAS Member

Do you know what genus the mushroom is? If it is Rhodactis, it can get quite big.. I have 2 green ones right now pushing 6 inches.. If it's an Actinodiscus/Discosoma, they can over run a tank by multiplying pretty fast once they get going. I have some red Disco's that started as 4 about a month ago and I now have an easy dozen. My tanks are all over a year old now though with one exception and that one is 9 months. It takes some time for a tank to settle and even to get softies to grow.. Light and water parameters seem to be a big deal for them.. What kind of lights are you running and can you vary the power on it?

13. OP
    G+11

For now all I have on it is 4 t5, two coral plus and two blue plus, and I cannot dim it.

14. Anchor

TCMAS Member

well dimming is accomplished by raising or lowering the light. But it is a good combo for lighting a 75 in my opinion. I guess I would just say be patient.. and let things sit for a couple months if you can handle that.., Leave stuff sit if it doesn't look unhealthy. Are you doing any dosing and how often are you doing water changes?

15. OP
    G+11

I'm not dosing, what should I be dosimg and how much? As for water changes I do about 10 gallons a week. The light is about 8-9 inches above the tank so about 10-11 inches off the water.