School Tank

Discussion in 'All things freshwater related' started by vandy10, Aug 24, 2013.

1. vandy10

Now that I am getting settled at school and left my 36gallon salty tank at home, I picked up a 10 gallon with hob filter and basic LED hood to set up a freshwater tank while at school. Any advice on what type of fish to add?

2. hinnenkm

hinnenkm Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

What are you looking for? Do you like a lot of movement or does that matter?

3. Vashjir

For an at-school tank I'd stick with something simple like a betta. They have great personalities and can go a week or two (over breaks) without food. Also no need for a filter, just a heater to keep the tank around 80. Skip the big box stores and generalist lfs and go to The Betta Shop or BJ's Bettas in st paul. Both are great specialty shops with high quality imported fish.

4. OP
    vandy10

@hinnenkm - I don't about the amount of movement, just looking for something fairly hardy.
    @vashjir - first off I am at school in Milwaukee so a Betta store in St. Paul is a bit of a hike ;). Second I am looking to go a little more than a Betta, I already have the tank with filter, heater, and led.

Thanks for the suggestions....and keep them coming. I will post some pictures once I get Internet service in my apartment

5. hinnenkm

hinnenkm Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

We've had guaramis (sp?) and they are neat little fish but not really fast, tiger barbs which like to be in small groups and swim a lot, buenos aires tetras that are now several years old and are similar to tiger barbs as far as movement and being in groups. Angelfish can be really cool too, but can get really big. I would recommend any of the fish I mentioned because they've all done well for us and are fun to watch!

6. andyb123

Honey gold gourami pair or any drawf gourami for that matter. Black phantom, neon, rummynose, x ray tetras a school of 1 or 2 of these would be nice. Probably want a small algae eater like a ottociculus, Chinese algae eater or assasian snail. These are great options if you want to avoid live bearers like guppies, platies, or swordtails.
    However live bearers are hardier and can have brilliant colors with great shape like lyertail swords

7. BEAV9900

BEAV9900 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Celestial pearl danios. A little more expensive but worth it!