Scoly Troubles

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Lulu_Lunette, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Lulu_Lunette

Lulu_Lunette TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Member

So I currently have two scolys in my tank. One is doing amazing and the other not so hot. I have been moving it around trying to find its spot ( once a week) but so far no success. It just keeps receding. All my water parameters are in line so I have no idea what else to try. Where it’s at now I do notice that it’s mouth does open and close.

Any suggestion or advice is appreciated

CE52C23F-D3A1-49E3-8CE3-BF12C22393AC.jpeg

2. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

If the mouth hasn't been exposed there is still a chance. That's all I know... tapping in the next knowledgeable person.

• Like Like x 1
  3. curlyq

I've never had a scoly, but my tactic for other LPS corals when they are looking rough like this is to put them in low flow/low light conditions and feed them bits of very small meaty foods once or twice per week. Not too much food that it can rot and cause problems, but a small squirt. Make sure nothing else (shrimp mostly) are picking on it, and keep algae off of it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RSnodgrass

Second the shrimp... they are notoriously terrible and known to cause damage digging inside LPS to get the food out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Adam G

Adam G Born to Reef!
    Lifetime Member

I see this has already been sad but when I read your post I was thinking make sure you try and feed it. You can even fill a Tupperware with tank water and place the scoly in it then target feed it with bits of mysis or other small meaty foods. This way there will be no flow or inverts/fish to steal away the food. Just keep an eye on the temperature of the water in the dish. The water tends to cool quickly.

Another suggestion is look in on it a couple hours after the lights go out. Mine have their feeding tentacles totally out after dark. If this is the case you can target feed them in this state very easily.

Less light and flow is also great advice. I would even suggest a shadey spot at this point. Scolys if being fed do not require a lot of light. Hope this helps. Sometimes they just don’t adjust to a new environment for whatever reason.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    Lulu_Lunette

Lulu_Lunette TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Member

I did move it to lower light and lower flow. I’m currently QTing all my fish from this system so they should be bothering it for awhile. I haven’t been able to catch the cleaner shrimp yet. I’m wondering if just feeding it like how you feed small calms would work. (Just putting a bottle around it until it’s done eating) at least until I can catch the shrimp.

Here is it’s new home in my tank for now.

F675081E-8B0B-4C1A-93DD-0476D6F98B2E.jpeg

7. Sean

Sean Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Among the most important issues not discussed is temperature. The key to successful scolys is not only low light, low flow, and at least weekly target feedings, but also keeping them in cooler temps.

I had the same problem as you, and after I received counsel about this, I set up a separate ten gallon tank that receives the AWC output from my main system, and has it’s own mini overflow (just a small hole drilled in the back) that goes to the drain. In there, I have a small fixed heater set for 75°F —cooler might even be better. All of my scolys are now recovering from the brink.[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. RSnodgrass

How long did it take to feel like a they were recovering once you made the change?

9. Sean

Sean Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Months.

Also important to keep bubble algae off the skeleton over which you hope it to take back.

10. RSnodgrass

Would you risk a peroxide dip on a scoly to kill algae?

11. Sean

Sean Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

I wouldn’t, Ryan, especially if the specimen is already in a weakened state.

I was surprised to see bubble algae growing in such a low light condition, but it is easily removed with a pair of high quality sharp-nosed tweezers, a dental pick, or similar implement.

Also, if you happen upon an emerald crab that actually eats bubble algae, it may be worth more than the scoly, lol!

• Like Like x 1
  12. infinityends

infinityends Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Saw post this shortly after putting together a cart to restock my CUC

ReefCleaners.org
    Emerald/Ruby Mithrax Crab
    Our crabs are guaranteed to eat bubble algae or we will refund the cost to you.
    $5.00

13. ikserk

ikserk Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1