Six Gallons to Greatness

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by ArcKatana, Dec 17, 2018.

1. ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Behold, the fire, the fury, of the 12 year old JBJ Nanocube 6! It was used for everything from a QT tank, a copepod breeding community, to holding a 2" Gem Tang.

Fast forward to now, and the trusty return pump finally gave up the ghost after fighting the good fight for over 10 years. Not wanting to waste the tank, I ripped the back out and will give it new life.
    IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Nothing but the best for this guy! A Walmart special Aquatech 20-40 (160GPH) will push water around while using filter floss to catch the crap floating around.

IMG_0005.JPG

Of course with such a high quality build, only the finest in LED Technology will be used. Behold the power of a semi-functioning Aqua Knight 30 Watt dance of death!

IMG_0003.JPG

I think seven of the nine LED's even work! Not wanting to skimp or cut corners, the trusty stock hood will be used to mount the light, and even allow the overpowering Niagra Falls of a powerfilter to sit on the back.

(I need to still work on that, pic coming later)

And what will this well under 2,000 dollar system be holding? Why nothing but pure SPS as that's how this fella rolls!

(Seriously, I'm going to be keeping sticks in this tub of crap).

To keep those sticks warm I'll be using the finest in heaters, the preset Tetra 2-15 gallon set-and-forget at 78 degrees.

You laugh now, but when I've got tree trunks growing out the top, you'll still probably laugh.

(And if you haven't guessed by now, this is a fun build. H20 changes every three days of 50%, and I only use what comes out of the tap. Why? Cause my well water is the liquid form of Calcium and other minerals, that's why.)

• Like Like x 4
  2. SuperJay

SuperJay Senior Member

looks like my kind of build on my kind of budget. You've got my interest peaked

3. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

4. acharpenter

acharpenter Pitas' Pita
    Site Admin BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

BEHOLD - TIS THE BUILD OF ALL BUILDS!!!!!!

Subscribed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Leicester56

Leicester56 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Oooh. Excited to see this one!

6. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

When looking at the sheer amount of chutzpah this tank has, I think only the finest is in order. We could go the easy route, and deep water acro it, but that just seems like cheating (although I've been trying to find a colorful A. lokani for ages). And birdsnest is out, as you can grow that with goldfish it seems. No wimpy chalices either. We need, neigh, demand the good stuff. So I'll be looking at Cherry Corals, WWC, and Unique and Battle Corals to find the first order of colorful twigs to populate this masterpiece of reef keeping.

(Trying to keep it for three or four frags, and maybe something else for my other tanks. There may or may not be a frag pack in my future)

#6 ArcKatana, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

I was wrong, all the LED's work. Feel the power of this fully operational 30 Watts!
    IMG_0010.JPG

And wow is this tank scratched lol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

This build feels like a prequel.
    It won't be long before it becomes something bigger and better.

9. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

While the thoughts are wonderful, and thank you, you can't beat the current level of trainwrecky wonderfulness! Filling it now, and boy does that craptastic powerfilter not push water around lol!

10. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

When you see the next picture, note the avant garde style of cutting along the back top. The carefree, complete lack of following the planned outline.

IMG_0016.JPG

Of course, you really can't see how crappy the back was cut off when you're looking on it head on. And I'm happy to report the light actually fits where I cut out for it, with only a small chance that it falls into the tank and electrocutes everything.

11. RSnodgrass

My Kessel recently melted some acrylic I left it directly above. Probably not a concern here but I'd watch it.

12. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

So a roughly two week (12/13 days) update. Tank has been up and running. I pulled some small rock from the 80 refugium that has been up since January. Now I've got stomatellas all over that tank too. Detritus and algae won't be an issue. I moved some of the small leathers I had that weren't doing well into it to give it some bio load. My weeping willow was just doing terrible in the refugium, it is starting to swell up and get bigger since moving it over. I've got a nice little neon green toadstool that had turned into a lump of silly putty - it's now looking like a toadstool, and I'm starting to see neon green polyp extension. I had some cabbage leather that was moved over which is honestly looking amazing now.

The plan is for sticks, and there will be. I just need to get my schedule sorted so I can make a trip to the Cities one of these days.

Regarding the leds on plastic - the light is actually sitting over a cut out section of the hood, so it is directly over the water. With the fan on top, zero heat issues.

I've yet to do a water change, but I have topped off about half a gallon a week, straight tap water. Water from my well is consistently 450-600 in calcium, mag hovers around 300ish. It was good enough that I don't even bother with my RO/DI anymore. Pics tonight after I clean the glass.

13. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Oh and I did add a small powerhead to the mix - a 245GPH Fluval. It is small enough that it tucks away in a back corner and doesn't stick out too much. So total flow with the HoB filter is right around 400 GPH. Should be plenty for a 6G tank.

14. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Progress! The Weeping Willow is actually showing some polyp extension, rather than just a blob. Also the toadstool that was just as bad is now looking more like a toadstool, also with polyp extension. The semi dead frag in the middle is a finger leather that I fragged up. It was looking terrible in the refugium, so I chopped it up in an attempt to save something of it. Not sure it will make it or not, but another piece is coming back in the refugium.

Roughly two week update. H20 change of 3 or 4 gallons IMG_0020.JPG IMG_0019.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  15. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

So managed a little bit of time this morning to sneak off to Fargo. Back before a meeting this afternoon. Suffice to say, sticks are in the house! Couple of crappy pics with my phone.

0104191543.jpg 0104191543a.jpg

Put these two in the refugium for now, I'll get them in the nano tomorrow and redo the rock scape.
    0104191551_Burst01.jpg

I got four acro frags and one stylo (not pictured) for way, way less than anything I've seen. For example, the green slimer above was $5. Not sure of the others, but there was a red planet, a shortcake of some kind and two blue/purplish acros. If anyone can make it to Fargo, check out Midwest Aquariums, great fish and prices too. Top notch service. They have rainbow watermelon anemones for dirt cheap also.

So now the test, can the nano keep SPS alive? Stay tuned!

16. dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Those are some amazing deals!

17. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

So roughly a month into the 6GoG tank, the sticks and leathers are doing pretty good. I"m due for a 3 gallon h20 change today, but a couple of pics of how stuff is doing:
    IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG

Downside of this light is it gives a bit of a disco ball effect. The top is white as the lens is there, the purple/blues are around it. I might try another fixture for taking pics.

Neon green toadstool on the bottom left, a blue polyp/purple base acro above it, a blue/blue/purple acro above that, and the some kind of shortcake acro to the right. On cool thing about the lights, the shortcake is coloring up way different under the white and the blue/purples. You can kind of see it on the top middle acro in the last picture. The weeping willow leather is coloring up and growing really well off to the bottom right.

18. RSnodgrass

Remind me if that light is adjustable for intensity. If so you can easily fashion a thin diffuser. I could actually provide a simple window film though a less opaque variety my be better.

19. OP
    ArcKatana

ArcKatana Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

It is somewhat. There is I think five or six settings, from mostly white to pure blue. I'd wager from 75% white to 75% blue. Here is a pic from amazon showing the led layout:
    41nU-3DBuML.jpg

Link to amazon with more info:

20. RSnodgrass

Well I'm guessing that you'll loose too much par unless you're already over 200.