Slow motion tank upgrade...

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by MysterRC, Feb 7, 2019.

1. MysterRC

MysterRC Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

I currently have an 80g (48x24x16 I believe) tank in my home office. It is sitting on an overbuilt steel stand that can accept up to a 72x24" tank. Unfortunately, in order to do maintenance on my tank all water has to be carried in AND out. Because of this, my water chemistry fluctuates more than I would like and things aren't as stable as they should be.

Fast forward a bit and I started kicking around the idea of going back to freshwater (!!). Spoke to the wife and explained why. Much to my surprise, shock, and amazement she not only said "NO!", she gave me permission to set up the tank in our main living area. This would put the tank directly over my mechanical room, allowing me to plumb it to the basement and be able to handle all the maintenance from there -- no more hauling water!!

However, after looking at things it became evident that my current tank just does not cut it. So, I guess it is time to plan out an upgrade, woohoo! Right now I'm looking at a 180g tank, though I really wish I could find a 125 WIDE... I prefer shallower tanks as they are easier to reach in for maintenance, etc. Of course with this much good news some bad has to come. I have a pretty tight budget so it'll be interesting to see what I end up with. This is definitely going to be a journey...

I also suspect it is going to be a whole lot of hurry up and wait as I slowly amass everything I need to pull this off.

#1 MysterRC, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. OP
    MysterRC

MysterRC Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

I currently am running an Orphek light over my 80g (4') tank. When I upgrade to a 72" tank I'm obviously going to need to supplement it. Anyone have any suggestions that don't break the bank? Was thinking the Orphek in the middle and then something else on either end of it. Just curious what the general consensus would be for a nice solution for that.

3. OP
    MysterRC

MysterRC Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Drove over to the Cities this weekend to look at a used system. It is official, I will have a 180g system in my house. Here is a picture of the system when it was running.

7359.jpeg

This tank will be plumbed in to my basement with a remote sump. The sump consists of 2x75g tanks pumped together on a large stand. Looking forward to having the ability to do proper maintenance on the system, plus the room to work around it without having to crawl under the stand.

Now I need to find a way to move it. Anyone know of someone who moves aquariums/sumps, etc that doesn't charge a fortune? It will be getting moved from Farmington, MN to Cadott, WI.

The hardest part comes now, waiting... The tank isn't ready yet and I have a family trip the 15-22...

• Like Like x 2
  4. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

I take it you don't have a trailer... do you have a way to pull a trailer? If so you can easily rent or borrow one from someone. Also, you can rent.a standard pickup from Menards for like $25 and gas. Stand and tank could sit side by side. The hood could be put on top but I'd suggest a couple boards in between so it distributes the weight better then strap it down.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    MysterRC

MysterRC Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

@RSnodgrass I do have access to a trailer and also a 12 passenger van I can remove the seats from. However, between the stand, canopy, tank, 8' stand in the basement, 2 x 75g tanks, 1x 40g breeder and other misc items, I am pretty sure I'll run out of room and I live far enough away I don't want to do more than 1 trip.

The real issue though is 3 years ago I had reconstructive surgery on my shoulder. Normally I'd be all in for doing it myself, but with the diminished capacity of my shoulder, not even going to try it.

6. TTNuge

TCMAS Supporter

So you were the one who beat me to it! :) Nice tank, congrats and look forward to the build thread.

7. OP
    MysterRC

MysterRC Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Yes, for once I came out on the other end of the straw! Really looking forward to having this set up as it will be the focal point of almost the entire main level of the house.

8. OP
    MysterRC

MysterRC Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

So while the tank has been selected, I have to wait until it is ready and that won't be after I'm back from a week trip. In the mean time, my brain is racing with plans. Here is a photo of where this tank will go. Ignore the stuff on the table as it is preparation for our trip. The white table in the forefront will be gone, the table in the back will move down, and the tank will go against the wall. I've marked off roughly where the top of the canopy will sit. I think it will look quite nicely there!

20190211_112337.jpg

9. OP
    MysterRC

MysterRC Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Here is the future home of the sump system + QT + frag tank. Have to wait for the water to get used up out of the storage tanks so they can be moved down tight to the sink, then everything to the right of it will be the stand+tanks.

20190211_121031.jpg

More progress has been made since this picture was taken, added some bracing underneath where the tank will sit and moved the storage racks around to fit between them so the braces aren't in the way.

Slow progress, but it is progress!

• Like Like x 2