Sticker Shock?

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by Fross, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Fross

Fross Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

So, we all know this hobby is expensive. It can be more or less so depending on what you want, but either way, it ends up costing quite a bit and most of us probably knew that before even getting into it. I am wondering, whats something that ended up cost much more that you had thought it would?

for me, it was plumbing. I knew things like a skimmer, ATS, nice sump etc were going to cost me, but I always left the plumbing as an after thought. something I could pick up quick once I had all of the major parts. well, I just put in an order for $550 to plumb the damn thing and I am "sticker shocked"

• Like Like x 1
  2. ikserk

ikserk Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member

Plumbing here too. Fittings and valves add up fast, especially so for quality valves

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

3. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

Yeah.... plumbing for sure. I'm taking lessons from 6gal to greatness lol.

For me it was my lights... pay another dollar in for diffusers, rails, and a control module since ecotech decided they didn't want to play nice with Apex anymore. Technically not all needed so plumbing is still the biggest.

4. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Plumbing is probably considered one of the most overlooked/hidden costs in this hobby.
    Why??? I think we consider the plumbing to be a DIY project. And most people associate DIY projects with lower costs, but that's not always the case. I could go on and on about reasons why, but that's not for discussion here.

Another surprise sticker shock item is the calcium reactor.
    A calcium reactor is only one component of a multi-part system. You also need to purchase a feed pump, pH probe, pH controller, CO2 tank, CO2 regulator and finally the media. Some of those added components cost more than the reactor itself.

5. nox.rupaw

nox.rupaw I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter Meeting Host 2018

+1 on that. last time i calculated the costs, a good CalRx setup easily adds up to $1000.

• Like Like x 1
  6. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

A little off topic, but designer coral prices can get crazy, but they are purdy. I see some of these nubs and prices, but I guess supply, demand, and growth rate make a market. Don’t get me wrong, luv em, I just get scared like a frightened kitten

7. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

Switching over to a CaRX seems like a steep cost. $300+ for the reactor, $300+ for the regulator, $200+ for the doser/pump, the tank and misc plumbing/media. I'll stick to 2 part for now. :)

I'll agree plumbing was a "hidden" cost for me that I hadn't factored into my budget. I think I spent close to $400 on it, all together. I did get a little crazy with my use of unions, but when I've wanted to swap out various parts and redo something it's been so easy.

8. spsick

spsick Acro-poor-a
    Lifetime Member

I use Supplyhouse.com for plumbing parts. They carry Spears in sch40 and sch80, and a lot of obscure fitting like 22.5 elbows, long sweeps, socket barbs, etc. Prices are often substationally better than anywhere else, but some stuff is similar everywhere.

9. OP
    Fross

Fross Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Yeah, the Calc reactor did catch me by surprise as well. I was so excited when someone sold me one for $100, then I found out the reactor its self was the cheap part. I then had to spend $300 on a pump and $300 on a valve.

10. dougers31

dougers31 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I'm not usually caught off guard by how much I've spent on something as I'm a miser(tight wad) and research purchases well in advance. That being said I find anything made by eco-tech to be priced on the high side for what you get. I only own one of their products(mp-10) and within 18 months of use I had to replace the dry side for $90. Been running for years since but will likely never buy another.