Suggested food

Discussion in 'Piscine Energetics' started by RSnodgrass, Jan 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

Out of curiosity would you say your lead product is the frozen mysis or something else?

I've personally used the frozen and recently pellets. Frozen is great of course without any debate but I was more surprised by the pellets as ALL my fish eat that eagerly. A different popular brand of the same size only 2/3rds of my fish would eat. I would also say your pellets smell like the frozen (nasty) which I take to be good thing. The other smells more like... cat food, and strikes me as more 'processed'.

2. Fross

Fross Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

I use the PE mysis but I have an issue that it all sit at the surface of the water and my fish don't seem to wat to go up there. If I poke the food it sinks pretty quick, and my fish don't seem to want to pick it off the bottom. I now just dont turn off the pumps so it blows around and they will grab some, but is there anything that has a slower sink rate or even stays near the middle of the column?

3. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I have used the PE mysis for many years. One of my core foods. Seems to have pretty high percentage of protein and the such compared to others. big enough that my larger fish get a meal, but small enough that my medium fish can eat as well.

4. OP
    RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

Sounds like you need some bottom feeders (o:

Are you using the flakes? I've always used pellets and PE's sink relatively slowly for me. I like the "medium" size (my technical term) because the tangs can eat it easily while actually getting enough and most of my other smaller fish can too.