Suggestions for last fish needed

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by curlyq, Jan 5, 2019.

1. curlyq

I have a 30 cube, and I’m undecided on what I want for my last fish. So far:

pair of percs

firefish

hectors goby

diamond goby

I really like the different colors/shapes/personalities of all of the fish, but I’d love to have a fish that spends more time swimming in the water column. I have a peaceful mixed reef, so things like dwarf angels are out. I’m browsing fish online, but any suggestions are appreciated.

Maybe a a pair of Chromis? Would an orchid dottyback (I absolutely LOVE this fish, but never had an opportunity to get a pair) be too aggressive if I only get one, as I don’t think I have room for a pair?

Edit: I don’t care for cardinal fish of any color.

2. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Some kind of red/orange wrasse. Many to choose from that are small and colorful in a range of prices.

3. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

The Orchid Dottybacks would be a good choice.
    I know that they're a mild tempered dottyback that does well alone or in a group. Of you would like to get a pair, contact Chad (@Chad Vossen) as he's been breeding them and currently has a large harem of them at BRS.

Depending on the individual fish, a Royal Gramma may be a good choice.
    The Royal Gramma will add a bright splash of purple and yellow color and do well in a community of fish.
    As far as swimming in the open water, that's somewhat dependent on the gramma and the other fish. The Royal Gramma that I had in my office reef would be visible all of the time until I added the McCosker's Wrasse. Then the gramma spent most of the time poking its head out from various holes it used for refuge and only came out when it was feeding time. After I lost the wrasse, the gramma was back out swimming around the tank. I never saw the wrasse harass the gramma, but the gramma didn't feel comfortable with the fish in the tank.

I know that they don't swim around, but a small Flame Hawkfish would add a lot to the tank.
    Even though they don't spend all day swimming around, they are quite active and do move around quite a bit. I have a feeling that your family would enjoy watching the hawkfish perching around the tank looking for food with those overly mascaraed eyes.

And I have to recommend Ecsenius spp. blennies; just because.

• Like Like x 1
  4. VikingsCrazy

VikingsCrazy TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

I have always loved the Orchid dotty. The deep blue purple color is awesome. I have always kept one in my tanks. It seems the more fish you have the less aggressive they are. Check out the pearl jawfish also. This fish has cool color and likes to watch people as much as people like to watch them.

5. OP
    curlyq

I appreciate all of the thoughts and suggestions. For wrasses (I went through a big thought exercise on this just last week) many of the colorful wrasses like flashers will eventually outgrow my tank - especially since it’s a cube and not a regular 30, not as long of a swimming lane.

Flame hawk fish are a little guy that are interesting to me, but with a small tank I’d rather fill fish room with species which I find even more appealing.

The Blennies are super interesting, but I’m looking more for an open swimmer than a hopper. (Really, I think I need a bigger tank!!)

The pearl jawfish and my diamond watchman goby fill nearly the same type of roll. It was, in fact, on my radar before I got the diamond goby.

I’m REALLY leaning towards the orchid dottyback. Two more questions, 1) giving my tank size and current fish load, could I fit a pair? Could a pair also potentially reduce their aggression towards other tankmates? 2) thinking of aggression, there are reports of them being ideal fish, and itherssaying they harassed their more timid gobies. Both the firefish and hectors goby are pretty timid, and they are also the fish my young kids (age 5 and 7) picked out as “their” fish. If everyone plays in the sandbox I’d be tickled pink. A pair might be pushing my bioload, but if it will reduce aggression it’s worth it.

I live in the commonwealth of Virginia, but am coming back in early April for a conference. I’ll touch base with Chad to see if it makes sense to bring some fish back with me.

6. acharpenter

acharpenter Pitas' Pita
    Site Admin BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

Not sure if your set on Dottyback but have you thought about a Midas Blenny? They do a lot of swimming in the open column from my experience and you cant beat the Yellow for a splash of color in the tank

7. Fiver

My lone orchid dottyback is very safe in my 33 long reef. Love it and it's little black mask.

I also highly recommend a single springeri damsel if you can find one. I lucked out and found one at Saltwater Empire before they closed. It's an amazing color, doesn't bother anyone and swims out in the open. Only issue might be your pair of clowns. My clowns gave it a hard time at first.

8. OP
    curlyq

I'm not completely set on the orchids just yet, but I'm definitely leaning that way at the moment. Angie, I had a midas blenny once - and now that I think more about it it did swim much of the time....

I've been hearing a lot of good things about people with orchid dottybacks in smallish tanks like mind - and tank bred ones are seemingly more prone to be more docile than wild caught.

My only experience with a damsel fish (other than clowns), was that I kept calling it nasty names that I can't repeat here. They definitely have a pop of color, and I'm perhaps just turned off from my original damsel experience. I wonder if the clowns would accept it - they are starting to get "nippy" at me, so I wonder how they'd treat a cousin?

9. Fiver

Yeah, a cube might not be enough space for another damsel. My pair of clowns really went after my springeri, but it had enough space in the 48" long 33 gallon.

10. Leicester56

Leicester56 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

I will add my two cents in support of an orchid dotty. Gorgeous fish that is fascinating to watch and won’t add a ton of bioload.

11. OP
    curlyq

I've been reading more about orchid dottybacks online, and it seems like newer posts seem to indicate less aggression than older posts. Also, some state that captive bred have less aggression than wild. I wonder if these two concepts are correlated with the rise in available captive bred orchid dotty's lately.

Also, it seems as though some believe there is less likelihood for aggression towards tankmates if there is a pair instead of just an individual. Is this pushing my bioload too far if I picked up a pair? I'd have a total of 7 fish: 2 clowns, firefish, hector's goby, diamond goby, 2 orchids.

12. VikingsCrazy

VikingsCrazy TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

If you keep up with regular maintenance I would not think so. They are all small fish. Even if you are kinda lazy with maintenance 1" of fish per gallon of water should be a good starting point.