Tank upgrade attempt 2..

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Davy Jones, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Well, here we go again! After the disaster that was my last attempt at a larger tank this is attempt 2! After lots of searching and contacting manufactures about going custom again I stumbled upon a deal I couldnt pass up

2 things:

1. I type. A lot, so be prepared to read through a lot if you are following along!
    2. I also post lots of photos. Unfortunately they are cell phone pictures, and I do not take the time to edit them in photoshop/lightroom. Most turn out pretty good though!

Display: Innovative Marine SR-80 (I may bust out the AIO compartments and drill the back.. will see!)
    Stand: Custom made from previous owner
    Skimmer: Tunze 9012 DC
    Lighting: 2 GHL Mitras LX7's
    Sand: Tropic Eden reef flakes
    Controlled with apex classic
    Flow: 2 Jebao dcs 2000 return pumps
    Flow: 4 mp40's (bought enough for a larger tank, might as well use them all at a lower speed)
    Tunze 3155 ato
    Eventually running apex dos with 2 ESV 2 part for consumption
    RSCP salt
    Occassional GAC from red sea, and brs rox.8 in a media bag (not reactor)

Current fish moving to this build include:
    1 Clownfish (9 years old)
    1 SMALL purple tang
    1 Starry blenny
    1 Orchid dotty back

Current inverts moving:
    5-10 Rainbow Bubble tip anemones ( Have 10 now, Will likely give some away/sell some locally during the transition)
    1 Sherman Rose anemone from Pieces of the Ocean
    1 Black widow anemone purchased locally
    1-3 Maxi Mini carpet anemones (Have 3, but have been unsuccessful in the past from removing them from rock/glass)
    3-5 rock flower anemones (have 5 but 2 I dont think will make it)
    1 anemone crab
    ~5 scarlet hermits

Current corals include (but not limited to)
    Large hammer colony (20ish heads)
    Purple torch (4-5 heads)
    AoG zoa colony
    Gobstoppers zoa colony
    WWC Halle Berrey colony
    ORA Purple Stylo mini colony
    OG Tubbs blue zoas
    OG rasta's
    Cali tort
    BC Orange tipped albrolhosensis
    Teal hammer coral
    Multi colored splatter hammer coral
    ORA Tricolor Valida mini colony
    Sky blue Yuma

The plan for this build is going to be a very mixed setup. Zoas, anemones, euphillia, ricordia/yumas and a few sticks will make it in. Ideally I will be able to run this display tank (or even drilled with sump and stuff) until I move (hopefully in about 3 years or so) and then upgrade to a custom size of 48"x30"x20". During this time, I plan on slowly moving towards more high end stuff. Will likely phase out the standard rainbow bubble tips and try to get a more ultra colored one. Hopefully the black widow and sherman will also thrive. I would like to eventually pick up a sunburst and or lemon drop as well. First things first though is zoas and palys. They are my SO's favorite thing in the tank, so as soon as this is up and stable after the transfer I will be on the hunt for a few nice ones (including WWC Purple monsters, RR Pink diamonds, CC Vamps in drag and so on)

I have already contacted innovative marine and they did confirm that the back panel can be drilled, as well as removing the AIO components will not effect the integrity of the tank. So this is an option for me, and I will go that route if I have to.

#1 Davy Jones, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. cathorn

cathorn Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

3. OP
    Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member

Thanks, im pretty excited! first display i have had that is 4 feet long, the space is amazing

4. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

Sounding really good so far, be interesting to see where you go with it.

5. OP
    Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member

Oh I forgot to add. It's inside and not broken! Woo! Stand will likely need to be shimmed a bit as my floor isn't level (damn 50's houses..) hoping to fill it tonight and into the weekend. Would like to have it at least 80% setup and chugging along before Monday IMG_20180808_231842.jpg

6. Rendgrish

Rendgrish Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

Oh- I like the stand with the center section inset like that.

7. Fishfoo

Fishfoo I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member Meeting Host 2019

Very nice. Glad to see you found something that you’re happy with. I have an IM Nuvo 40 and have been extremely happy with it. Awesome company imo.

Only thing I’d recommend would be to only use 3 mp40’s and keep one as a backup incase one fails on you. No reason to keep 4 in at a lower speed when 3 will do the same job at a slightly higher speed. That way you have peace of mind as well. Just my ¢2

Good luck on the rest of the install and be sure to post lots of pics, especially some of the BTA’s! Oh and that Halle Berry colony :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member

Made some progress today!

Got the sand rinsed and in the tank
    Put the rockwork in
    Filled the tank
    Mounted the electronics (needs some serious cable management)
    And you can see my helpers doing a good job supervising lol

IMG_20180811_155902.jpg IMG_20180811_194530.jpg IMG_20180811_194001.jpg IMG_20180811_193856.jpg IMG_20180811_162754.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  9. Reefking

Reefking Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Nice! I love the rimless look...

10. OP
    Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member

I do to, and it looks awesome as long as you manage the salt creep from the waves

11. postie1686

postie1686 Senior Member

Nice looking setup you got there glad it went to someone who can give it the time it needs!

• Like Like x 1
  12. OP
    Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member

The tank will be on autopilot the next week or so. Ill be kicking on the skimmer in a few days to let that break in, as well as feeding the tank to provide food for the bacteria to grow. Apex needs to be re-programmed as I have different equipment than I planned when i set it up way back when.

Also! Use coupon code localreefer at BRS for 10% off your order (does not apply to map items) :)

13. OldNemo

OldNemo Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Looks great! Love the IM tanks!

• Like Like x 1
  14. OP
    Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member

Thanks! So far, I have used the biocube, the red sea max 130D and red sea max c-130 for all in ones. The SR80 is by far the best designed of the bunch in my opinion. the red sea c130 is a HUGE improvement over the older model but personally I do not like the dimensions as im up to my armpits in water anytime im doing tank maintenance. Plus the skimmer section and the media rack section are not sized appropriately IMO

15. OldNemo

OldNemo Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Yeah I loved my IM 20 I had up and running for a couple of years before I dipped into a bigger cube. You can see pics in my build thread. It was a great little tank. I toyed with the SR 80 but at the time I had space limitations.

Good luck and following the progression

16. OP
    Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member

Just throwing this up for my own documentation! This is the last picture I'll have of my temporary tank before I begin the teardown and prep for the transition!

And it is fairly doctored by the Google photos automatic editing thing. But unfortunately I didn't save the original so here it is anyways [​IMG]

17. OP
    Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member

Testing has proven steady! Some uglies on the rockwork but already starting to go away.

Moved the sick anemone out of treatment into the tank and it has settled in nicely! Also moved over initial corals for testing and most are looking better in the new tank than they were in the other one so I continued moving stuff over. This tank will be running a heavy WC regimin the first month or so to account for general new tanky-ness.

Had to burn some credit I had at live aquaria and incedentially ALL the wrasses I planned for this build were in stock and arrive tuesday.

I have only had a single mp40 in the tank and even at 60% I find placing any lps difficult due to the flow it puts off. I'll have to monitor that and see what adding the second one across from that does with the flow dynamic.

Lighting is touch to balance as my other light is still over the temp tank, so the 3 kessil a80s the tank came with are over the second half of the tank .

Apex is setup and configured and so is the Dos. For now dosing will just be kalk on the Dos. It is set to dose ~150 ml or so a day and the ato will account for the rest of the evap. The reservoir is a 5 gallon bucket so it should last around 20-25 days of dosing. Will adjust as needed of course.

At this point about 3/4 of the livestock (other than fish) has been moved over and somewhat placed. The other tank is still setup and running as normal in case things start to go south I can quickly move them back for recovery but I don't think it will be needed as this is the third or fourth time I've setup a tank this way without issues.

Skimmer is dialed in and foam head is sitting nicely where I want it, adjustments will need to be made as the bioload increases but trucking along good for now.

Enough wall of text, pictures!
    20180819_180646.jpg 20180819_180653.jpg 20180819_180658.jpg 20180819_180721.jpg 20180819_180728.jpg 20180819_180705.jpg 20180819_180717.jpg 20180819_180637.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

"Happy reef, happy life."

It appears everything is enjoying the new set up.
    So... ALL of the wrasses... Which ones did we get???
    I've been contemplating a bunch of them myself.

19. OP
    Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member

Yessir!

1 Yellow Coris wrasse
    1 Red lined wrasse
    1 Christmas wrasse
    and 1 radiant wrasse

Did a ton of research and spoke with some very knowledgable people on R2R about compatability and these SHOULD all be fine together. Was told to add them all at once for best chances so here we go lol

Plan on doing a FW dip @nrupaw suggestion and possibly doing an observational QT period if I can get it set up (never done QT before for any of my fish..)

• Like Like x 1
  20. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Nice selection of wrasses.
    Make sure you get a cover in that tank before they arrive!!!

I'm seriously considering a small harlequin tusk in my new reef.
    So if I cannot keep much in the way of shrimps and crabs, I'm looking at other non-reef safe wrasses and other predator fishes. A few of the Halichoeres spp. are on the list, but I'm really into the Pseudojuliodes spp. lately; all credit goes to Hunter for that. If I venture outside of the wrasses, I'm looking at dwarf fuzzy lionfish, hawkfishes or triggerfish.

• Like Like x 1