Tank upgrade

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Jake, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Jake

Jake Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Have had the new 110 rimless for a while now but have been slowly getting equipment and building the stand. Will be plumbing this weekend and hopefully be making a safe transfer of all rock and livestock from the old 75 into the new tank on Thanksgiving weekend.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Reefking

Reefking Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

3. OP
    Jake

Jake Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Thanks, the neat little sea turtle knobs just showed up today. Finishing touch that I was looking for, much cleaner and sharper than the old black stand.

• Like Like x 3
  4. OP
    Jake

Jake Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Do you guys know the best way to set up this overflow? It is a 1600 gph but I will only need about 1200 or so. I just need to know if I should just leave two holes open and one emergency overflow or do I have two emergency overflows with one a little higher than the other? I have this same style overflow, only smaller on my 60 gal tank but it only has two holes. The 3 holes are confusing me. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks, Jake

Attached Files:

5. Nickz

Nickz Nobody
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

Since the 3rd hole is there why not set it up as a bean animal for the added backup capability.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    Jake

Jake Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Unfortunately I don't know how to do that. I have checked it out on the internet but unsure where to get the u shaped PVC to do it. any images would be helpful, thanks for the input.

7. Nickz

Nickz Nobody

I've never done one myself since I only ever have 2 drains. Basically it's a full siphon drain with gate valve, secondary drain with a trickle going down, then a 3rd which is the emergency. Worst case you could use an elbow and a street elbow. Or there's this as an example but it's 1.5".
    F2174241-75B0-46D8-8B43-02F52797E189.jpeg

8. OP
    Jake

Jake Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

OK, so most of the water drains down the pipe with the gate valve and the second pipe has this same set up but set up a bit higher? I will do a little more reading. I have the plumbing all set up for using all three holes just need to figure out the best way to do it. Thanks again.

9. Nickz

Nickz Nobody

Main has gate valve which controls the level in the overflow so you get a trickle down the secondary (which is slightly higher). Then the 3 stands straight up as a secondary emergency if somehow the other 2 clog. Seems like overkill compared to a herbie imo but people say it's easier to get quieter than herbie and has that added safety drain.

Hopefully someone that uses bean animal will chime in

10. OP
    Jake

Jake Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Got it, I am watching a U tube video now. I think that will be the way to do it. Thank you.

11. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

I'm running Bean Animal drains on both of my tanks, so I can help you out somewhat. I've tried getting photos of the actual set up, but you cannot really see in the photo what's going on; I'll describe it for you.

The full siphon (main) drain will have the gate valve too regulate the water flow through the system. You can place a strainer on this bulkhead to help reduce the chance of a gurgling vortex from the water draining. If you use a strainer, make sure you maintain it so it doesn't get clogged; if it does, the water level will rise and begin to utilize the secondary and emergency drains.
    The trickle (secondary) drain will have extra plumbing to raise the drain to "match" the water level in the overflow box. This is where most people use the pvc bend fitting, I don't; I use a Tee fitting instead. I place the tee fitting so that it is open to the top and one side. I adjust the plumbing or water level so that the water just trickles into the tee fitting. My overflow box isn't long enough to include the bend fitting or two 90° elbows, so I chose the tee fitting instead.
    The emergency (third) drain will have a stand pipe that is higher than the trickle (secondary) drain but still below the top of the overflow box. It is recommended that this drain empties into your sump where it can create a splashing sound to alert you that you have water going down the emergency drain. I'm sure there's better methods to alert you if you so desire.

Once you get your gate valve dialed in for a full siphon, you'll have a very quiet (if not silent) overflow. When I first set up mine, I kept checking in on the tank to make sure it was still running. I was so used to hearing a waterfall from my loose system, that I was nervous that I was flooding the room with the new one.

• Like Like x 2
  12. OP
    Jake

Jake Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Thanks Jason. I too do not have enough room to have the two 90 degree fittings. I think I may try your idea. There may be enough room for me to add a 90 to the side whole of a T fitting for the main drain. From what I am reading having the main drain with a 90 or two 90's if you have room will keep it from sucking air. Either way I will update once I hav it put together. Thank you for the input, I appreciate it.

13. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018 Meeting Host 2019

I just straight piped my trickle since I didn't I didn't have the room for a tee or elbow. Still quiet.

MVIMG_20191107_203016.jpg

[​IMG]

14. OP
    Jake

Jake Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

OK and that one has three holes right?

15. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018 Meeting Host 2019

4. One emergency, one not used.

16. OP
    Jake

Jake Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Got it. If nothing fits I can go with one hole having a screen, the next will be 1"-2" higher and will have water slowly flowing into it, and the last one a bit higher than the 2nd for emergency. Thanks again everyone for the information.

• Like Like x 1
  17. OP
    Jake

Jake Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Ok I got the overflow figured out. Now I am wondering If I need to cycle some new Marco rocs in a tub before I mix them in with my established rocks from my current tank when I make the move. The plan is to move everything over to the new tank but I need to add some more rock work. Will this new rock cause any issues since it is supposed to be free of any organic material. I don't have a problem curing and cycling it in a tub if need be to avoid any issues when the move is made.

18. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018 Meeting Host 2019

Generally a good idea. I'll be swapping out a couple rocks as they become fully enveloped in monti's but I won't cure that... too small relative to the tank.

19. Nickz

Nickz Nobody

My thought process on it has always been if the current rock supports the bioload any added clean dry rock will not be a problem other than looking clean and white for a while.

20. OP
    Jake

Jake Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Got it, thanks guys. I will soak them in tank water with a heater and circulation as I can't see that it will hurt anything anyway. I think I have way too much rock for what I want to do but better to have too much than not enough. Here are some photos of what I think I will use for the overflow box. Everything is pretty snug but it all fits. The secondary with the three little holes drilled in it is about a half inch higher than the primary and the emergency blue pipe is about a half inch higher than the secondary. I assume there is no need to glue this stuff just in case it needs to be removed?

Attached Files: