Temperature - do we have it all wrong?

Discussion in 'SPS corals' started by DarkSky, Oct 2, 2019.

?

What temperature do you aim to keep in your reef?

1. <75F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 76F

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. 77F

11 vote(s)
    35.5%
  4. 78F

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  5. 79F

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. 80F

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  7. >81F

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018 Meeting Host 2019

I recently stumbled upon this paper on R2R - http://www.ronshimek.com/salinity_temperature.html

It covers temperatures in coral reefs and how it affects calcification. Particularly, this bit seemed interesting:

If you were to take a survey of where people kept their tanks, I would guess a majority would be in the range of 77-79. I personally let mine fluctuate about 4F and fall anywhere between 78F and 82F.

So where do you let your temps fall? Do you mind a large range of temps? Do you keep it precise as possible? Let me know!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Reefking

Reefking Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I watch my temp more than anything else! I get nervous if I notice anything more than a 3 degree short term swing from 78 degrees. I would rather lean towards warmer vs too cold as well...Not sure if that’s correct either.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

I target 77°F on my tanks.
    I have the Apex controlling two heaters in the sump with a range of 76.8°F to 77.2°F.
    Over the past week, my temp probes have tracked my water temperature between 77.0°F to 77.4°F; weekly average 0f 77.22°F in the display.
    The main reason for such a tight window is that if any issue were to arise that would affect water temperature, it's going to start from a very safe point; giving time for the issue to be corrected before tragedy strikes.

• Like Like x 2
  4. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018 Meeting Host 2019

I keep mine close and pinned at 77° namely because I felt it was a bigger safety window.

The talk from Richard Ross about coral spawning was interesting as they aim to mimic natural seasonal swings which can be 10° in a lot of places.

Has anyone ever done an optimal temp experiment? I'd guess it varies based on the coral.

5. Fishfoo

Fishfoo I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member Meeting Host 2019

I can see how colder temps could have negative effects on coral. However, I still think warmer will turn things bad a lot faster than cold. No scientific backing, just my opinion/experience :)

On my 40gal I didn't let temp sway anymore than .5 degrees Fahrenheit (77.0-77.5). With my new tank it stays within 1 degree for the most part.

• Like Like x 1
  6. nox.rupaw

nox.rupaw I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter Meeting Host 2018

Isnt cooler water like 73-74 F (24/23 Celsius) actual optimal for SPS? or am i completely off?
    I was just in the impression that 77-78 deg F is recommended because its more achievable in a regular house without breaking the bank on a chiller.

7. Nezw0001

Nezw0001 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018 Meeting Host 2019

I let mine swing quite a bit with seasonal variation. 78 most of the time, up to 84 in the summer.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RSnodgrass

I assume it peaks at 84 during the day and drops back down some?

9. HouseofStark

HouseofStark I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Supporter Meeting Host 2019

I keep mine at 78 +/- 1 degree. I was looking to move to the Apex seasonal temps, but the swing makes me hesitant. It ranges from 75 to 82. I use the LSM for moon/sun cycles, have taken the plug with temp.

10. Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2018 Meeting Host 2019

I did seasonal for quite a while, then did 78 for about a year before moving to 80. When I was doing seasonal I would notice the most cyano and algae problems when the tank was at the 77-78 range. Things alway seem to grow better in the during the summer temps with less nuisance items. That's why I'm currently running 80. Purely from my own tank observations.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RSnodgrass

I know from diving there is virtually no temp difference from 10-60'. As for location averages and coral species preference who knows.

12. OP
    DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018 Meeting Host 2019

I think you're right, much like running a tank with higher alkalinity; faster growth, but closer to disaster.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Anchor

A recent Reef Dudes on YouTube interview of ACI Aquatics brings some thoughts up about cooler is better. Worth a watch if nothing else. Temp discussion is before the 40 minute mark.. maybe a lot before.. I forget.

It is not strictly about sticks though some suggestions about upwelling cool water was brought up.. Said a collector he talked with said 64 degrees while collecting Microlourdes on south GBReef.

• Like Like x 1