The Big Climb: APEX Mountain

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by H2OHOH, Dec 13, 2018.

1. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Well, I am about to embark on a climb into the world of the Apex. I bought one about 2 months ago, and like climbing Everest, I have been letting it acclilmate at base camp for awhile. I hope to start today or tomorrow on the install of my apex and DOS. It will include temp, salinity, PH, DOS pumps, and setting up timers for my Reefbrite LED strips.

My confidence is not what I would like it too be. Any helpful hints or advice will be listened to?

2. VikingsCrazy

VikingsCrazy TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

I am climbing Mount Apex right behind you after Christmas! I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

3. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

Take it slow, test any fail safes to verify it actually works.

I didn't fully test a line of code I got off their forum and found out my leak alarm failed. Heater warning saved me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. DarkSky

DarkSky Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

I also started my journey on Mt. Apex this black friday. Waiting for the Cerebra 2 was killing me.

• Like Like x 2
  5. VikingsCrazy

VikingsCrazy TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Did you spell it incorrectly? That is the one thing I have been told. If you enter codes manually you better spell them correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NotJacques

NotJacques Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

For that climb, get a Sherpa! Luckily there are many on this forum. There even used to be a Neptune Hobbyist of the Year until Angie ran him out! :( ;)

If you're feeling generous, feel free to document the "build" for future climbers

• Like Like x 3
  7. OP
    H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I am going to start with hopefully some small victories. Hopefully I can find the internet.

• Like Like x 2
  8. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Helpful tip #1.
    Once you're in Fusion, let the tasks take over for initial set ups. If you desire a more specific program for a specific outlet, there's plenty of help on the Neptune Systems user forum. You should also check out and "sign up" to the shared Fusion list; here.

I'm still in the process of getting more outlets programmed to my specific needs, but I found that two of the outlets aren't appearing in Fusion. I will need to reset the energy bar which will wipe out the programs and I'll need to reinstall them. Not a huge ordeal, but not something I want to do when I don't have time to focus on getting it all done correctly.

9. dirtrider225

dirtrider225 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

First time Apex user? Tasks are your friend. Neptune created built in tasks that guide you through how to setup basic things that nearly everyone uses, i.e. shutting off skimmer when return pump is off, and creating feed modes, and so on and so fourth.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fross

Fross Senior Member

I am starting to put the gear together before I head up to the apex Basecamp. I'm kind of doing it backwards. I have bought the icecap modules for my gyre pumps, the WXM for my radions, and today I got a good deal on an open box fluid monitoring kit. Not sure when I'll get the actual apex, but I'll be ready when I do.

• Like Like x 2
  11. OP
    H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Air is thinner at base camp than we are used to. I’m hoping to carbo load before I start the climb

12. Reefking

Reefking Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

D0500E5E-1E29-4CFD-92FB-44612624D50B.jpeg Adding this photo in case you need a starting foundation.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Fross

Fross Senior Member

is that your tip 13 "keep it out of the sump" photo

• Like Like x 1
  14. Reefking

Reefking Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Winner winner chicken dinner!

• Like Like x 1
  15. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

16. acharpenter

acharpenter Pitas' Pita
    Site Admin BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2019

As if!!! and its MAHY - get it straight!!!

14361426_1094306183983643_8386880727183348855_o.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Fishfoo

Fishfoo Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

You can keep it simple and just run through the tasks, or get more complex and and start manually coding outlets/setting up virtual outlets. It’s all dependant on what you’re trying to get out of the controller, and how much time you want to invest in getting it setup perfectly. As Ryan said, go slow and test each new line of code/rule

18. eschulist

eschulist That Office Nano Guy
    Lifetime Member

Lots of people here to help.

Like many said use the "Task" function to set up 90% of your items. There will be unique cases where you have to program things manually but its usually a few smaller bits of known code strung together in the correct order.

Join the Apex list and view other peoples Fusion setups. http://www.tcmas.org/forums/threads/apex-fusion-sharing.56549/
    This allows you to have read only access to see how others set up various pieces of equipment and how they have their dashboard laid out.

The Apex Forum https://forum.neptunesystems.com/ is great for your advanced questions.
    There are plenty of people here with advanced knowledge of the Apex system as well. Myself and Ben Nicholls are both NSI Beta Testers

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. OP
    H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Still at base camp. Spirits are good, weather is good, but nerves are starting to set in. Sooner or later you just need to take that first step

I believe it was Sir Edmond Hillary that said “one small step for man, one large step for mankind”. Reefking told me that’s where Louis Armstrong got the quote.

7C9EA855-814C-47D4-A8C4-03FA83EE0D6E.jpeg

20. Ben Nicholls

Ben Nicholls TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2018

A helpful tip is take it one thing at a time and and ask for specific answers. Answering "how do I shut off the skimmer when the pump is off" is a lot easier than "how do I set everything up".

Probe setup on new units is important too. Don't even try to calibrate them until they have sat in the tank water for at least a week (particularly the salinity one). If you think you may vary your tank temp at all, turn on temperature compensation on the probes. Either way it is also helpful to calibrate with the solution in contact with the tank water during the process. That will hold the temp to the same as the tank. If you calibrate at a different temp, your values will be off.

The salinity probe is particularly sensitive to power cords being close to its wire. Make sure you route the probe cables away from power cords.

Once you get everything running, the next thing to set up is safety alerts. The probes themselves have a nice high/low alert you can set in Fusion. I also have alerts for things like the ATO running too long, or the backup heater running long. I use to have a flow meter on my emergency overflow on my old tank because I was running a herbie with only one drain and one emergency. Other things to do are auto shutoffs like turning the skimmer off when the return pump is off, or shutting off the ATS lights when the ATS pump is off.

One more thing I've intended to do but have not yet, is add a siren/alert. The newer Apex does not have a speaker in it and it would be nice to have the tank make a noise for some types of alerts. There are instructions out there for adding one. Just have not done it yet.

• Informative Informative x 3