Therapeutic Copper Levels?

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by H2OHOH, Jul 16, 2020.

1. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

For those of you who QT with Copper Power, at what level of strength are you using?

Bottle says 2.5 but was reading some are at 1.2 to 1.5?

2. OldNemo

OldNemo Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

I use Copper Power at 2.0 to 2.25. But make sure it is at 2.0 or higher. There are some strains of Ich and Velvet that survive 1.75. I ramp up over a 3-4 day period if no signs of disease and maintain above 2.0 for 14 days and then transfer to new clean tank. Use a Hanna Checker to monitor levels.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mordim

Mordim Just keep reefing
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee TCMAS Member Meeting Host 2019

Same here. I use copper power and dose it to just over 2.0; this is the suggestion from Humblefish and team on reef2reef. I also use the hanna copper checker.

Two very important things:
    - Take it slow to ramp up!! I dose to 1.0 on the first day and then slowly ramp up to 2.0 over the 5 days which usually ends up being 7 days. I've lost a number of fish trying it less than 4 days. 5-7 has worked well for me.
    - Be sure to use lots of air exchange. A HOB filter isn't enough. Add a powerhead or air bubbler as well. The HOB filter is for my bio filter. Do not use carbon. I also stopped using filter floss as it seems to soak up copper and requires a lot more dosing to get to needed levels.

For treating new fish coming in that look healthy, I use other med treatments first (mythlene blue & fluke/worm treatments) and end with copper so that I only need to keep the fish in the QT for 14 full days before moving to my display tank.

If I was treating an outbreak, I'd move to another clean QT tank after 14 days for observation before moving to the DT. If you don't have another DT, then you'll need to stick to the 30 days of copper to reuse the existing QT. If you can, use another tank. Copper is hard on fish so the less time in it the better. The 14 days in copper is just to provide time for the parasite to fall off of the fish and keep the free swimmers killed in the copper.

I have not had to treat an outbreak (knock on wood), so you'll have to use your judgment between the risk of stress on the fish from raising the copper quicker and the risk of the illness severity and progression rate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rendgrish

Rendgrish Junior Member
    TCMAS Member

What they said. 2.0 is a good target, a Hanna checker is the only realistic way to get there accurately.