Unknown growth on torch

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by Jake, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Jake

Jake Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

If anyone can tell me what the white mass is growing on the stem of this torch I would appreciate it. It has been on there ever since I bought it about a year ago. Problem is it is starting to reach the heads and I am worried it will kill the heads. It is not a sponge as it is hard and slimy to the touch. There are several holes in it making me think it is some sort of filter feeder. Also wondering if it will spread as I don't want it anywhere else in the tank. I have removed most of it at least once but it grows back fairly quickly.

Attached Files:

2. SuperJay

SuperJay Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Jake... Did you resolve this issue? I can't believe you got no replies on this topic.

3. OP
    Jake

Jake Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

No, it is some kink of sponge. It is still on there. It does not seem to bother the numerous heads so I just leave it. I did rip pieces off but it grows back so I have just decided to let it be.

4. VikingsCrazy

VikingsCrazy I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee TCMAS Member

Yes, it is a sponge. Unless it starts to take over which I doubt it will I would let it be.

5. OP
    Jake

Jake Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Its been on there since I bought the torch over a year ago. It seems to grow to right at the base of the torch heads but does not bother them. I had it touching a divergent rock once and it did spread to that rock so I took care of that and no longer have it near any other rock work.