who keeps bettas?

Discussion in 'All things freshwater related' started by Chad Vossen, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Chad Vossen

Chad Vossen Vossen kinda rhymes with awesome
    Lifetime Member

[​IMG]

My first freshwater fish in years! Picked this guy up at the betta shop in st paul.

2. Kyle T.

Kyle T. Big Footed Ginger!
    Lifetime Member

Here's my last betta. Had him several months ago to try breeding them, but the air wasn't humid enough.

[​IMG]

3. lambchops

lambchops Baaaa
    TCMAS Supporter

Thats sweet looking. My girlfriend has a female betta.

4. sleeri

Wow, I love these fish. Such amazing color for a fresh water fish. Haven't had one since I was a kid though. 20 years ago at least. Ok, sounds like I'm getting up there in years, but trust me, I'm not that old. Ha. Great looking fish guys.

5. SaltH2O

SaltH2O TCMAS Member
    TCMAS Member

I bred them back in the days, super easy to bred. My last one I had him for 2 years in a big flower vase with plants.

6. SaltH2O

SaltH2O TCMAS Member
    TCMAS Member

During my years of breeding bettas, i always had them in ceramic or concrete tank. I am not sure if the hot and humidity has anything to do with it, but where I came from is super hot and humid. Internet wasn't there in the mid 80's. I was only watching for the signs (bubbles and they do french kissing)

Many times betta(s) disappear overnight, not because of jumping, but they were eaten by Asian lizard or Asian Chameleon. The lizard came out at night and using its tail to fish bettas out of the tank and eat them. (Those of you from VN know what I am talking about) ;)

#6 SaltH2O, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  7. souk

souk Life's too short, don't buy frags!
    TCMAS Member

Don't have one but you purchased it at the store that I would buy it from too if I was in the market for one

8. Taklu

Taklu Akshaya
    Lifetime Member

Kept Bettas for a long time many years ago... had 4 pairs in a backyard manmade pond with lots of live plants and a lot of other fishes. it was fun to watch the neighbourhood cats sit on the ponds edge and ogle ogle... then see them run run all over the place (who let the dogs out ;)) lol

interesting tidbit - for a long time it was a requirement from the city municipality to keep certain fish in every water storage that exceeded certain liters ;) then the city started using chlorine... sigh

9. reeflover

reeflover I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

If the bubbles in the bubble nest keep breaking up, an old trick I used to use (when I use to breed them) is to float a small piece of wax paper over top of the nest site. The male will usually continue to construct the nest under the wax paper and the bubbles will hold without breaking up. That's the tip for today.

10. Kyle T.

Kyle T. Big Footed Ginger!
    Lifetime Member

Yeah I'm not sure what happened with the bubble nests that guy was making. They'd be fine during the day then about a third to a half would be gone the next day. He built the best under a styrofoam cup. Then I covered the tank with plastic wrap which helped a little, but not enough.

Females didn't help. The first couple dropped eggs before spawning in their little protective area. Now I'm moving into breeding different fishes. :D

11. kheebl

kheebl Super Moderator
    Lifetime Member

My step daughter (3.5yr old) has a female betta. Our setup is nothing like the ones above, just a simple betta bowl tank.

12. Tamberav

I always have a single betta. My current betta I got about a year ago and picked him out because at the time he was the uglyest one. A plain veiltail that was brownish/red with fin rot. I figured no one would buy him even at $3 and he would perish in the cup so I brought him home.

He has colored up immensely to red with a green sheen:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Alunai

Alunai Fedora Chick-Dream big!

I have one of my two bettas in a 15 gallon column with 3 neons, 3 danios, 2 cherry barbs, a bristlenose and a pictus cat... It is fairly heavily "planted" and he never picks on anyone. He never even picked on anyone when he was in a 2.5 with 3 neons and 2 cherry barbs, as well as a ghost shrimp....

Since he is so sweet-mannered, I'm tempted to try putting a female in with him.... thoughts?

14. Vashjir

The female might be ok if introduced slowly, but if they ever breed the male will likely kill her right after spawning in an attempt to defend the eggs.

15. kheebl

kheebl Super Moderator
    Lifetime Member

Here is my new betta tank.

[​IMG]

16. hoover86

That betta shop looks like they have a lot of beautiful fish. Can't wait to check it out!