Why limited edits?

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by Kveekx, May 22, 2013.

1. Kveekx

Hey TCMAS, I really like the forum but my one big complaint would be the limited edits. I find it really annoying to have to search through builds to find the most recent FTS. Most other reef forums allow you to edit as much as you want which means I can update the first post in my tank build to show what my tank currently looks like. Some of my equipment is different too and I would be nice to change that too! I'm sure Im not alone on this. I would like to know if the mods would be willing to fix that? :)I would really appreciate it if the edits were unlimited! :) Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. David Grigor

David Grigor TCMAS Old Timer
    Lifetime Member Meeting Host 2018

The only place it would make sense is tank builds forum. Not really sure if you can apply rules to particular forums vs. the whole site.

3. kheebl

kheebl Super Moderator
    Lifetime Member

would also be useful in for sale forum, so you can delete what is sold, and what is still available.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    Kveekx

I think it would be good for classifieds too. So you can add photos later, update whats sold, and for price changes.

Haha kheebl got to it first!

5. kheebl

kheebl Super Moderator
    Lifetime Member

great minds think alike:rock:

• Like Like x 1
  6. scubaspew

scubaspew Starfish
    Lifetime Member

AGREED!

You added to it by throwing in changing price and adding photos and I couldn't agree more! A lot of people don't like to scroll through a for sale thread with too many replies just to see if a price has changed or figure out if something is still available, etc.

#6 scubaspew, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MAXreefer

MAXreefer Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member

The edit limit is set to 10 days, can only be set global and not on a forum by forum basis. Lots of forum have a limit actually.

There is a reason behind it.
    Let's say you start a thread about a particular topic and you would be able to edit it 3 weeks later and change the whole context from what you originally posted.
    Now when somebody reads the thread 6 weeks later for the first time and looks also into the replies, lots of those replies makes no sense anymore (as they were based on the original thread post) and things get very confusing.

Regarding the classifieds.
    Let me give you an example and not saying people would do it but it could happen:
    You post an item for sale and you say it is in "mint condition". Now after a while it get sold and then you would edit your thread and change it to "has some issues". Can you imagine the drama already?

Just my thoughts

8. OP
    Kveekx

I get your points but it is rare for someone to completely change a post.. And for the classifieds you can still see the time it was edited. I like to think the TCMAS members are better than pulling something like that in the classifieds especially after paying $30 to even see them. All Im saying is it works on other sites, why not here? It kinda de-motivates me to keep up with my thread on here because it becomes a mess.

• Like Like x 1
  9. scubaspew

scubaspew Starfish
    Lifetime Member

I still see no GOOD reason why we can't freely edit anything we post indefinitely, I don't see any good reason for anyone to abuse that privilege on here.

I agree, it gives the ability to stream line a thread or keep it shorter IMO!

• Like Like x 1
  10. MAXreefer

MAXreefer Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member

I just tried to change a couple of my postings on the major reef sites RC and R2R. Nope. Not possible anymore

You have no clue what we have to deal with on a daily basis from reported postings to complaints via PM about almost everything you can think off.

Don't take offense on what I am saying. I understand your points and know you mean it well. Give me some time to discuss it with the BOD and MOD's and I will get back to you

11. scubaspew

scubaspew Starfish
    Lifetime Member

Fair enough! And completely and sincerely appreciated!

12. OP
    Kveekx

Alright let us know. I really think that it should be voted on by the members that PAY to use the site. IMO though and I respect you trying to help us out!

13. hypertech

hypertech East Coast Chapter President
    Lifetime Member

Not everyone pays to use the site so the arguments based on paying people wouldn't abuse it don't really fit.

Those rules were put in place because there were abuses. Not sure it can happen on the new software, but on the old software, it was possible to change the title and bury the thread or in some cases even delete it. So, edit time limits had to be placed. People can and will abuse things in ever more creative ways.

I'll add a counter argument for the classifieds. I like that they don't change. I like that there is a record of what things go for so you can tell what a reasonable price is. Its good for buyers and sellers.

14. OP
    Kveekx

What I mean is the people that pay to use the site should have a say in what happens.

15. mrbill

mrbill I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

At least a 14 day edit would be nice since that's how long the Frag Swap postings are. This spring I ran into some issues with my editing abilities being cut off just before the swap.

• Like Like x 1
  16. kieffer_5

Do you pay to use eBay ? Yes. Do you have a say in what they do with there site ? No. I don't see how paying for something makes you able to change it. You should go to meetings and a business meeting or try being on the bod then you can try to change what you want. But I'm sure you don't have the time to take one day from your life to go and try to make a change just like everyone else who complains. Don't complain if you're not gonna do anything about it.

17. kieffer_5

Also it's nice to see progression in build threads

• Like Like x 1
  18. OP
    Kveekx

I am doing something about it.. I posted it where everyone can see it and leave their opinions. If you don't agree fine with me. Im just voicing my opinion to see who else this annoys.

#18 Kveekx, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
  19. OP
    Kveekx

I agree, I just really like the look of a year of FTS in a row so you can see growth right next to each other.

20. patent

patent Ok Moderator
    BOD Lifetime Member

+1 to everything hypertech said.

Edits to old threads are bad, IMHO. Build threads are much better when you can see the beginning to the end, the tank changes they made, what worked, what didn't, and all that stuff can be edited out if you allow edits, losing lots of good information for anyone trying to learn from the thread, which is our purpose.

FTS can be added whenever, and if you want to see the progression you can pull up each of those pics side by side. A little more work for you, but not a big deal. Its more work for someone, no matter how the forum sets its rules.

I despise when FS threads get edited out, newbies (and often most of us) don't know going prices at that point and it leads to folks getting taken for a ride, and more drama as people argue over pricing.

Exactly the opposite here - people who go to meetings have a say in what happens. Membership in this organization is defined by meeting attendance, culminating in business meeting attendance, which is where changes happen. Paying for the site gets you access for classifieds and promotions, that's it.

LOL, you get a nice polite response and you slam it by suggesting nothing said in that response is a "GOOD" reason, and yet people think that voting over changes like this would go well?

We had tons of drama back in the day, right now the site is nice and polite and people for the most part get along. the drama drives people away, we don't need every decision made by voting.

• Like Like x 2