Wrasse suggestion for Pyramidellid snails in 30 gallon

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by curlyq, Dec 29, 2018.

1. curlyq

Hey guys, I think I just found some Pyramidellid snails in my tank this afternoon. My tank is small, 30 gallons, and the infestation looks light at the moment so manual removal has started and is a feasible early control method. However, I’d like suggestions on a wrasse to add to help with control. My tank is peaceful (firefish, hectors goby, pair of clowns, peppermint and cleaner shrimp, and soon a diamond goby), what are some suggestions of what will be an interesting and effective addition to the tank??

I know my options are limited because of the tank size (and 6-lines are hit-or-miss and can be kinda nasty), so I’m hoping some more knowledgeable people than me have good ideas.

2. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

The Six-line Wrasse was my suggestion until I read further into your post about your thoughts; and mine as well.
    Maybe the other Pseudocheilinus spp. wrasses (Pink Streaked Wrasse is small.) have the same appetite without the temperament of the six-line. Many of the Halichoeres spp. wrasses (i.e. Melanurus, Radiant, Yellow, etc.) will pick at small inverts, but you'll probably want a smaller specimen for your tank size. Possibly the Possum Wrasses are a suitable candidate, but I'm not familiar with their snack preferences.

3. OP
    curlyq

I did some looking at that pink streaked wrasse, and I can’t find much that it will snack on the nasties that I have. The Possum wrasses also don’t seem to be voracious nasty eaters either. I’ve been looking at a lot of them in liveaquaria and a few thoughts popped up....

Pearly wrasse? Says it’ll eat the nasties, but also possibly some shrimp? My cleaner and peppermint are big, so maybe not? Interestingly enough, the genius of the pearly wrasse is dominated in the “not reef safe” category on liveaquaria. BUT, the red-lined wrasse looks interesting to me. It’s a little confusing on LA, because the yellow coris wrasse is listed as not reef safe, but I’ve had one before that was great, and I know others that have it also.

Also, any thoughts on the scarlet pin stripe wrasse? It might have all the features I’m looking for - I just wish it was a little more chromatically gifted....

4. OP
    curlyq

Or what about the mystery wrasse?

Never mind. Read more that they are nasty on the CUc.

#4 curlyq, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  5. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

That might be a decent option.
    Upon first look, it looks so much like the Mystery Wrasse that I was concerned but with the smaller size, you may have better chances. (The Mystery Wrasse is definitely going to eat the snails... along with the CUC AND shrimp.)

6. OP
    curlyq

I was reading some more on the scarlet pin stripe wrasse - seems like it is also likely to decimate my pod population. This is concerning because my hectors goby seems to only eat pods (I’ve never seen him eat anything I’ve ever put in the tank at least, and he’s FAT). I’m starting to think I’m in a no win situation. Any wrasse which will for sure eat Pyramidellid snails is likely to tank my pods and be a danger to my shrimp. Any wrasse which is safe for pods and shrimp is unlikely to eat the little snails. Ugh.

Thoughts on a small melanarus or Christmas wrasse?

#6 curlyq, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  7. OP
    curlyq

Whelp, I asked Bob from WWM about my conundrum, and it looks like I’m hosed. He didn’t recommend any wrasse which readily eats Pyramidellid snails due to the size of my tank. Also, the small tank size means more likely aggression to my shrimp. Wrasses which fit my tank aren’t likely to eat the snails. Finally, since I don’t have or plan on clams, and the bad snails are a problem for only a few dollars worth of snails, getting a wrasse puts my hectors goby (starvation risk from eating pods) and my shrimp (predatation) at risk. Trying to solve a minor problem will more than likely end up with a more expensive problem.

Looks like I’m just doomed with these buggers.