Zoas like to pucker up

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussion' started by H2OHOH, Jan 7, 2019.

1. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I got a couple plugs of zoas at the fall swap. Put them in tank and opened up great. Last couple weeks they have been puckered up. Iv read about flow and that stuff, but they are in the same place. If they have been puckered that long are they dead?

Seems like we have a few zoa enthusiasts here, hoping you maybe have some ideas.

Thanks

2. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

Following along. My only (limited) success seems to be blasting them in front of the power head for 30sec or so. Couple of times that's "dusted them of" I believe of whatever is irritating them.

3. patent

patent Ok Moderator
    BOD Lifetime Member

A pic might help. Something is bugging them. Had you been working in the tank? MOved powerheads, changed lighting, large water change, etc? Something die? Look at them closely for any pests (there are snails that eat them, nudis that eat them, etc.) Any other irritations?, something near by that could bug them?

4. curlyq

Did you dip them before putting them in your tank? If not, might be worthwhile to give them a good dip (I like either a hydrogen peroxide solution dip or iodine solution dip) - nuke anything that may be on them. I also suspected a fungal infection on my zoas earlier this summer on a newish frag that started fine, then slowly started loosing polyps and not opening. I did a one-two dip of HP and iodine and they came back after.

5. OP
    H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I will take some pictures. Yes, was doing some tank maintenance around thus time

I did dip when I got them

I did add some Vibrant a couple weeks back

6. dirtrider225

dirtrider225 Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Are they covered in a brown dust? I have seen this in the past with some of my zoas. They close up and never open again. I have had moderate success with a peroxide dip if you catch it early enough. Micro zoas for me are the toughest to keep alive. Paly's do great for me and are generally easier but ymmv.

7. OP
    H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

8. patent

patent Ok Moderator
    BOD Lifetime Member

I'm far from a zoa expert, but your not getting responses from folks who know better than I do, so take this FWIW.

I'd be pretty worried about 2 weeks closed up if nothing is opening at all. It could be a pest, but for me it seems like when its a pest only a portion of the colony closes at first, as that pest starts eating or bothering one zoa or another. That has been my very limited experience. I got a couple zoas at the swap as well, and one of of the frags stayed closed up for a couple days. I think the light was too strong for it. When I put a filter between the light and the frag, it opened up one by one over the next day or two. When the entire colony/frag stays closed at once, I tend to think its something systemic, e.g., your light is too strong/weak, your water quality is off, its being blasted with too much flow, something like that. If there is something along those lines that changed a couple weeks ago when they closed up, I think I'd be looking at that as the culprit.

Also, can't tell from the pics, but get a magnifying glass and look for anything foreign in there, e.g., snails, nudis, or small whitish bumps on the stalks.

9. OP
    H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

I gave them to another TCMAS member and they have started to open up after a couple days. We will have to look at the lab results.

"Go figure, Ruby Sue falls in a well and her eyes go crossed, gets kicked by a mule they go back to normal"

10. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

I want to say that's good-ish? Are you running carbon?

11. OP
    H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Yes, running carbon and gfo