Fishfoo's 40g Rimless

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Fishfoo, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Justin715

Justin715 TCMAS Event Committee
    Event Committee TCMAS Supporter

Glad to see you found the root cause sorry to hear you lost your wrasse. Things are moving in a better direction.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OldNemo

OldNemo Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Nice catch. Wrasse are really susceptible to internal parasites as well so could have been the culprit on the first one. I have three wrasse in QT now and went through Prazi only to find my Romboldalis is still pooping white strings! Anywho, trying to get them to eat mysis soaked in Metro and Focus while doing TTM. Way too finicky to eat that. May have to try soaking food in prazi or Nori in Prazi may work.

3. OP
    Fishfoo

Fishfoo I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member Meeting Host 2019

Ahh yes I forgot to mention I’m also feeding food soaked in Metro/Focus. I also soak it in Selcon to get the fish to actually eat the medicated food. Helps a bunch so I’d try that if you haven’t already!

4. OldNemo

OldNemo Senior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Thanks. I’ll give that a shot. Tried soaking it in Seachem garlic but he ends up spitting some out.

5. OP
    Fishfoo

Fishfoo I contributed!

I have no bounce mushrooms (or any mushrooms for that matter) in my tank, so one of my acan's decided to take it upon itself and fill that void... I had no idea this happened throughout different species of coral.

[​IMG]

Larger update coming in the near future

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stpaulhawk

TCMAS Supporter

7. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

Stunning photo, great composition.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    Fishfoo

Fishfoo I contributed!

It's just that, a growth! At the moment this is a phenomenon that some think may be linked to a stress response/defense mechanism, but has yet to be proven. Sometimes these growths will calcify and fall off, or they may just stay long term. After doing some research, I found that there are others that have experienced bubble-like growths on other non-mushroom corals as well, but it is uncommon.

Thanks Ryan. My acan's are always the hardest for me to capture a realistic representation of. Beautiful in person, but I can't seem to get the colors right behind the lens. For example, I have a very nice rainbow acan ("Jackpot Acan" I believe was the name of it) I purchased from Stephen at Acan Lord close to a year ago and it has close to every color in the rainbow. However, any time I try to take a pic of it I'm only able to capture a few of those colors. I was going to post a pic of what I'm talking about but refuse to do so until I have a good one :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    Fishfoo

Fishfoo I contributed!

Was finally able to get behind the lens for a few photos and draft an update.

First the bad news: The second flame wrasse I ordered and later found flukes on ended up not making it. I believe it was due to a bacterial infection on its dorsal fin caused by the flukes. Can't be certain however. Will probably hold off on another jordani until the new tank.

Other updates: All other fish are doing great! After the newest additions I'm most certainly at max capacity for this tank, but parameters haven't gotten too out of whack and everyone's been on their best behavior (aside from one new troublemaker).

[​IMG]
    Addition #1 and the troublemaker himself: Male Vanuatu McCullochi Dottyback. After patiently waiting for some time, one popped up on LADD. The deep red coloring of this fish is remarkable and hard to accurately capture with my camera. He has a great personality as well, but already thinks he's king of the tank... Just a few fin nips so far but I'm keeping a close eye on him o_O

[​IMG]
    Addition #2: ORA® Captive-Bred Premium Black Knight Gladiator Clownfish. I know I ended up selling my old one, but a reef tank just doesn't look the same without a clownfish in it! I picked him up from LADD as well. What drew me to him was the "ying and yang" marking on his right side. So far he's played nice with the other fish. Kind of a spazz though...

[​IMG]
    Addition #3: Yasha Goby Pair with Pistol Shrimp. Another LADD purchase. They don't seem to be a bonded pair however as one is in the shrimps burrow while the other has not found/made a burrow yet and is always out in the open. Oh well. One of my favorite gobies so I'm happy to have finally gotten them.

[​IMG]
    Even with it's huge appetite, the Convict Tang hasn't gotten much bigger. Fine by me because it gives me more time before the upgrade! Great personality with this fish.

[​IMG]
    I've had the Pintail for a little over a year now I think. Lately he's been showing his nuptial colors a lot more frequently which has been very cool to witness. He's also put on some size in the recent few months. May need to cut down on the feedings ;)

[​IMG]
    The Rhomboid I purchased at the same time as the second Flame back in April. It's doing really well but I can tell it needs more space than my tank provides. If I can't find a house in the next few months (which would also mean new larger tank) I'll probably end up selling him. Definitely would like to hold onto him if possible though.

Coral update: Everything is doing really well, especially for it being summer, which always seems to take the biggest toll on my tank. Sps nubs are still growing... very.... slowly.

Current Problems: Bad Aptasia outbreak that I'm currently trying to battle with Aptasia X

• Like Like x 1
  10. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

11. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Great update!
    I love the addition of the dottyback; their color just about makes up for their temper, but as long as it plays nice you’re golden.
    And that itty bitty tang can just stay that size; too cute!! (Yeah, I said “too cute”!)

12. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Beautiful fish. I may have to look into getting one of these someday!

13. OP
    Fishfoo

Fishfoo I contributed!

I truly wish it would! I love how tiny and perfect she is right now and never bothers anyone. A model reef citizen

14. OP
    Fishfoo

Fishfoo I contributed!

Thanks! Yes I’m glad one became available finally!

15. OP
    Fishfoo

Fishfoo I contributed!

Tank's been doing well. Not much to really report on, aside from the fact that things have been a little crowded in the 40 gallon. I'm also back down to just the pintail, clownfish, and dottyback. Possibly one Yasha goby/pistol shrimp. below are a couple of macro shots I took yesterday.

WWC Halle Berry
    [​IMG]

RRC OP
    [​IMG]

Angry ASD Rainbow Acan
    [​IMG]

Can't let @Reefking have all the fun
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  16. Reefking

Reefking Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Ufda! That is a nice chalice! Where did you get it?

17. Leicester56

Leicester56 I contributed!
    Lifetime Member

Love the Macros!

• Like Like x 1
  18. H2OHOH

H2OHOH Senior Member
    TCMAS Member

Very nice

• Like Like x 1
  19. nox.rupaw

nox.rupaw I contributed!
    Lifetime Member Event Committee TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter Meeting Host 2018

RRC OP looks awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Senior Member
    TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter

Love this tank! Did you have fish losses or did you rehome them?

• Like Like x 1