KJoFan's SCA 150g Build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by KJoFan, Apr 15, 2018.

1. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

go a little low on salinity so it can increase with evap... if it's a big deal.

2. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!
    Lifetime Member TCMAS Member TCMAS Supporter Meeting Host 2018

Yeah, I could do that. I have a hunch it's a little inconsistent as it is as I only dump some fresh water in their every few days as it is. Never take QT tips from me unless you want to know how NOT to do things. But, hey, so far so good...well except for that whole velvet thing. :rolleyes:

3. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

I made it back from Atlanta today and all fish survived. The Potters Angels are looking fine so hopefully I caught that in time and they’ll continue looking up. Got everything topped off and fed a couple times this evening and we’re back on track.

On another note I made my first visits to the National Aquarium in Baltimore and the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta this summer. Both were worth seeing but I do think the Georgia Aquarium has a better reef display.

A couple cell shots from both.

Baltimore:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Atlanta:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  4. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

Some not so great cell shots. Things are slowly coloring back up. Some better than others. Patience Daniel son.

[​IMG]

PC Rainbow looking pretty good:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    This was just brown when I got it quite awhile ago and is just now starting to show something other than brown. I can’t quite tell yet what it will turn into.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

FTS still doesn’t have much going for it.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. whotzler

whotzler Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

It is just nice to see that I am not the only Reefer in Jackson County!!!!

6. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

That makes a grand total of 2 in Jackson County. Unless you’re aware of anyone else?

When I lived in Windom there was a guy with a tank but he kind of disappeared so I don’t know if he’s still in it or not. Pretty rare around here unfortunately.

From your comments in the other thread sounds like your tank is far beyond the status of mine. I’d like to hear/see more about it.

7. whotzler

whotzler Junior Member
    TCMAS Supporter

Its coming up on 3 years now. I am trying to find the time to update my build page with more details. I am a big fan of Euphyllia, I see you have some nice hammers in your tank!

8. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

I have a couple hammers and a nice duncan colony, that's about the extent of my euphyllia, but I love the color and movement they provide.

9. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

Not much to report on this. I got 6 Ignitus Anthias through 3 months of QT successfully and added them to the tank a couple weeks ago. Two have shown up dead, two haven't shown up at all and two are out and about. I don't really know what I could have done differently to be more successful, as it seems they were just too scared/insecure to come out and likely just starved out. I added them all as a group thinking there would be safety in numbers but apparently not. I guess that might open up a couple slots for some different anthias down the road.

I've got a Pintail wrasse working it's way through QT and a Potter's Angel that will be graduating to the main tank very soon. The Potter's showed signs of velvet early on and has made it through 30 days of copper, now I'm just observing to make sure all is well.

Otherwise the tank seems to be settling in, though I'm fighting some cyano and green slime algae on the sand currently. I suspect it's due to my 0 PO4 which I've been working to bring up a bit, so we'll see. If I can't get around it, I'll probably deploy some red slime remover to whip it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PC rainbow still coming along nicely. I need to get some top down shots of a few that are looking nice.

I think over time with replacements and losing color on pieces I’ve ended up with 3 different BC Shades of Fall pieces in the tank as well as 2 different frags of Garf Bonsai.

I might have to remove some of those into my growout tank once it’s going to open up more room in the display.

10. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

Pulled out the real camera this afternoon. Not that I’m very good with an actual camera either.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

Nice photos!
    I like the colorful collection of zoanthids.

12. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

For the sps crowd.

[​IMG]

Tiny nubs but might end up promising...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tricolor?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This milli has had a hard time but could be beautiful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure what color this is supposed to be. I’m guessing the more red/middle color.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  13. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

Ok, so I am getting very close to plumbing a Deep Blue 60 into my main system. That tank will be sitting about 6-7' away from my main display. Right now I'm planning for mostly 1" plumbing with 3/4" for the return just because I'm using some leftover pieces I got with the tank.

I am using a Varios8 in sump currently as my return. I am planning to use that to power both tanks, but concerned it won't quite have what it takes. But, also concerned I can't fit another pump in that chamber of the sump to feed just the 60g. So, I guess my plan is to try it and if it can't hack it, consult as yet formed, Plan B. But, based on others' reports of head loss with these pumps I don't have a lot of hope. I don't need a ton of flow in the 60g, I can rely on powerheads for that so...maybe?

I'm also planning to use both bulkheads as a herbie drain and run my return over the rim at the opposite end of the overflow. Ideally I'd be able to use two pumps, one for each tank as tuning both herbie drains might prove to be maddening.

Anyway, just sharing the vision so someone can say "yes it should work" or "dream on"...or somewhere in between. Anyone seeing any glaring problems with my plan so far?

14. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

In contrast, would anyone recommend drilling my sump and implementing one external pump to feed both tanks? Either way, any pump recommendations for internal or external use that would accomodate both tanks comfortably?

15. ikserk

ikserk Administrator
    Site Admin Lifetime Member

A second return pump for the second tank wouldn't need to go in the last chamber of the sump with the other ..just sayin' :)

16. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

I know but I don’t think I have space within the sump anywhere else. It’s a triton style sump so drain, fuge, skimmer, return.

My skimmer eats up that whole compartment.

As it is, my emergency drain for the 60 will have to end in the skimmer section as my three drain bulkheads will be full.

17. OP
    KJoFan

KJoFan I contributed!

Update time:

I am still working on plumbing in the 60g to the main system. Though I haven't actually worked on it in awhile. Plumbing isn't my favorite thing but it must be done. It's all drawn out and pieces are purchased, just need to do the actual assembly. Sigh. Someday.

On another note, sps were starting to take off, get good color, encrust, grow. Best success I've had to date. Then, I noticed some bite marks here and there. Started basting the corals and sure enough, AEFW were present. Since I have numerous frags starting to encrust I didn't want to remove everything for dipping, so I opted for UWC's new in tank treatment, Purge. It requires 4 doses over the course of a month. I only made it to two doses and as of tonight 90% of my sps are toast. The other 10% will be within the next couple days I'm sure. Z & Ps are mostly closed up and euphyllia aren't looking as good as they should. So...I guess it's working if you consider completely removing the food source as a success.

I reached out to Jeff at UWC and we discussed the system and nothing jumped out as a conflict, but the proof is undeniable, it didn't work out for me. This isn't a bashing of the product, as I've read reports of it working well for some folks. Bummer that it did such damage for me though.

Maybe this should just be an LPS/softie tank.... I skipped the third dose last night (no point anymore) and things are still looking sickly overall, so I started some carbon tonight and hopefully that will help perk things up.

This hobby sucks sometimes.

18. RSnodgrass

RSnodgrass TCMAS President
    BOD Lifetime Member Event Committee Meeting Host 2018

Bummer, really sorry to hear that

19. clownnut

clownnut TUNNWOLC
    Lifetime Member

sorry to hear, KZ flatworm stop, if you double the dosage that's the best in tank cure atm. since the product, don't try to kill theAEFW but instead boost up the slime production of the acro, which in turn cause the AEFW don't want to eat them. you can check out the thread in RC sps forum.

20. jlanger

jlanger "The North Remembers"
    Lifetime Member Event Committee

This quote popped up in a FB post today and it fits here...

”It’s a never ending chess match. You will never win, and at best you can just stay in the game.” - Joe Yaiullo
    (And he's a former MASNA Aquarist of the Year.)